Weight loss, a bit older and extra skin?

Options
wykyd
wykyd Posts: 68 Member
So I need some "goal" or "role model" photos. I'm losing weight and hitting the gym. I've just started a more serious strength training (and lifting heavy(er)!) but I'd really like to have some idea of what CAN be achieved. I see all these great photos of younger women (I'm almost 50) and what they have achieved but I don't think they've been overweight as long as I have. Any supporters out there or can anyone lead me to photos that show what can be done with hard work? I'm willing to work at this but would really like to have that visual motivation so I can see where I'm going.

TIA!

Replies

• wykyd
    Options
    Still hoping someone can give me some guidance here. :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    It's even more important to exercise at our age than it was in our 20s and 30s. What do you want to achieve? It may take a little longer, and we might need more quality rest and recovery time after strenuous exercise, but nothing is off limits just because we're approaching 50.

P.S. My current goal is to be able to do 3 pullups and 100 pushups. I'm closing in on 1 pullup. Last year, it was to lose 5 pounds.
  • boberrymom
    boberrymom Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I go on Bodybuilding.com's website, they have success stories for lifting over 35 and i get my motivation from that. Hope this helps
  • wykyd
    Options
    Thanks! I'll give the bodybuilding site a try.

I'm mostly curious about what is achievable by someone my age who has been overweight for a long time. I want to know what is even possible for my body. Will I ever be able to get my body really firm again?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You can get as firm as anyone else. Some people have loose skin after weight loss and some people do not. You don't appear to be extremely overweight, and it may not happen, or it might be minimal. Just go for what you want. Worrying only wastes energy you can put to better uses.
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had been overweight since I was a teenager and lost 108lbs over a year when I was 55. I have just turned 57 and have been maintaining for about 14 months
    8de28715b62123fc6ce9a4ce9ac6c58b.jpg
    I hope that gives you some encouragement for what can be achieved for us over 50s
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm 60 and like you had been overweight for nearly 20 years mainly out of neglect

In April of this year my wife purchased me a smartphone and then that lead me on to MyFitnessPall and another app I use Endomondo which tracks every bit of exercise I do and pushes the result to Myfitnesspal both these apps have inspired me and motivated me

I hadn't run since my teens....I can now achieve 3 miles in 9m 5 secs and each day week I try and beat that time so what I have found is that exercise is really key not only to losing weight but also to actually feeling young as well.....exercise is now part of my life and the benefit is you get to lose weight as well....works for me
  • paulaspatch
    paulaspatch Posts: 17
    Options
    I am 56 and not able to do what a lot of folks on mfp can...mostly due to my back and neck. however I can do some things and appreciate any support in my efforts to do so!
    Paula
  • paulaspatch
    paulaspatch Posts: 17
    Options
    WOW fabulous pics - congratulations on your success!
    Paula
  • Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm 48 and was overweight for 10 years. At my heaviest I was 265lbs and carried most of it in my midsection. I'm now down to 155 and 9.2% bodyfat. I lift and do cardio and things are tightening up. Thanks to lifting and dieting, I'm finally starting to see my 6 pack come in.

Don't worry about your age just keep working hard and consistently and you'll get results.