TDEE Method Help!

Options
Okay! So I started losing weight in January 2013 and I dropped 15 pounds within about 2.5 months by just incorporating exercise and watching what I eat. But, since about March I've been on a plateau losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds.

I want to completely switch to the TDEE Method since I hear it works the best!

I am currently doing the Insanity workout 6 days a week, burning on average between 250-300 calories each day with it. If I put that as 'moderate activity' in the TDEE calcultor I get a TDEE of 2307.

So, if I want to lose 1-2 pounds a week it says to reduce my intake by 25% which means I should consume about 1700 calories a day. Right now I am eating about 1300.

Does this seem correct to give me the results I'm looking for and to get me over this horrible plateau!?

Replies

• Kettle_Belle14
    Kettle_Belle14 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I'm in the EXACT same boat. I've been switching up my exercise and I can tell a small difference in the way my clothes fit, but the scale isn't budging. Maybe you're losing fat and gaining muscle :happy:
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

I used the TDEE method to go from 1700 to 2100 calories and I'm seeing quite awesome results. I wasn't losing any weight at my prior calorie goal either.
  • Fitbyburgan
    Fitbyburgan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been told if your nutrition is clean and you eat more like every 2-3 hours that you gain more from your food and you also loose weight. So upping your calories would probably be a good thing.

I just came across this group here on MFP - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/3817-eat-more-to-weigh-less (its called Eat More to Weigh Less), they also have a website and youtube channel.

Nutrition is always tricky, you have to adjust it to obtain your goals. Perhaps in your case it will be an increase and an increase in the right foods.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    How many pounds do you need to lose? If you have a lot to lose, then 25% cut is probably okay. 20% is a typically healthy target. If you are down to your last 15 or less pounds then you should take a 15% or 10% cut.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    probably adding in the exercise via a TDEE calc will not give you a more accurate number, and will probably not break your plateau.

some people break plateaus by eating maintenance for a period of time, some people have cheat days, I personally started using intermittent fasting (eating all your cals in a feeding window, like 12pm to 8pm (16/8) or 2pm to 8pm (18/6) and this has worked for me, as I had been stuck around 73/74kg and i managed to go back to loosing 1lb a week, so its working for me so far.

height, age and weight would help.

do you eat back your exercise calories?
  • Fitbyburgan
    Options
    Excellent information on why not eating enough works against you... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/3047-700-calories-a-day-and-not-losing
  • Fitbyburgan
    Options
    Proof that there are many eating and losing weight successfully http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/506349-women-who-eat-more-than-1800-calories-a-day
  • autopilot_on
    autopilot_on Posts: 388
    Options
    My experience was similar and it wasn't until I INCREASED the amount of food that I was eating that I broke my plateau and starting losing again. So, up your calories to 1,700 and try it for two weeks. Keep eating clean and keep exercising. Good luck!
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Give it a few weeks and see how it goes.

I used the TDEE method to go from 1700 to 2100 calories and I'm seeing quite awesome results. I wasn't losing any weight at my prior calorie goal either.
    And I was in a similar boat - stuck at a plateau with only 7 more pounds to lose. I switched to the TDEE method, realized I was undereating, got over my fear of *over*eating, increased my caloric intake and my body thanked me whittling away those last 7 pounds quite nicely in two months. I just hit my goal weight a week ago.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Okay! So I started losing weight in January 2013 and I dropped 15 pounds within about 2.5 months by just incorporating exercise and watching what I eat. But, since about March I've been on a plateau losing and gaining the same 2-3 pounds.

I want to completely switch to the TDEE Method since I hear it works the best!

I am currently doing the Insanity workout 6 days a week, burning on average between 250-300 calories each day with it. If I put that as 'moderate activity' in the TDEE calcultor I get a TDEE of 2307.

So, if I want to lose 1-2 pounds a week it says to reduce my intake by 25% which means I should consume about 1700 calories a day. Right now I am eating about 1300.

Does this seem correct to give me the results I'm looking for and to get me over this horrible plateau!?

Sounds reasonable.

A couple of side notes:

1) Neither method works "better", some people just prefer 1 over the other. The effectiveness of either will be completely dependent on how accurately you estimate and log.

2) If you're gaining at 1300 cals, it's not the method it's the execution. This screams bad logging to me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat as you. I dropped my calories down to 1200-1400 a day and gained and lost the same pound for two months. I upped my calories to 1500 and started losing again. Now, with the TDEE - 20% method, I'm eating 1900 calories daily and losing steadily.

Just be aware that you may not see a lot of change on the scale right away with Insanity. I've never tried it, but I understand that people see a lot of body recomposition but not necessarily a large loss. Especially in the first month, when your body is holding onto water to help cushion those sore muscles.
  • janetteluparia
    janetteluparia Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Intermittent calorie restriction or "fast" works too. Check out 5:2. Eat more to weigh less doesn't work for everyone.
  • AAL94LBB
    AAL94LBB Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll be definitely doing Insanity to the end and I'll also up my calories to 1600 a day and hope that breaks this horrible plateau!