finally admitting I need a support system

Options
My name is Lisa, I am 32 yr old mother and full time student. My family has a history of type 2 diabetes and heart disease. last October my father passed away unexpectedly from complications that directly resulted from his obesity. I watched Daddy over the years not really living "unhealthy" but just gaining a few pounds each year throughout his life and never really losing. I know where this path leads and I do not want my children to lose me the same way I lost him. So I have promised to change the path that I am on.
I have used MFP in the past and have successfully lost some weight (only to gain it back); however, I have never used the support offered on the site. I have finally admitted to myself that I can not do this alone. I am looking for some friends to help me with encouragement and whom I can encourage as well. I am hoping that by including people in my journey that I will not feel so isolated in my quest for better health.

Replies

• daisymae850
    daisymae850 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Good morning! The support on this site is great, I'm going to send you a request, we'll do it together :)
  • TakeTimeToCare19
    Options
    Support is awesome but you are your best Cheerleader. You have to decide that this is what you want and stop at nothing to get it. It will not be easy. You will get discourage. But its worth the sacrifice because a long healthy life is worth it.
    I too am a single mother of 2 kids. It's rough. I actually lost 26lbs and gained it back this past year. I get in my own way mostly. But I am still trying. :) Never QUIT!
  • cfilipi74
    cfilipi74 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    We all need the support and motivation of friends to help us out. I will send a request your way. Good luck on your journey.
  • crystalreaves2
    crystalreaves2 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Request will be sent I recently lost my grandpa and my dad just had a scare so I know how it feels to be scared straight. Ill help as much as I possibly can! I'm going from 263 last week to 170 so our goals are close. Good luck and keep on keeping on!
  • PandaPudges
    PandaPudges Posts: 45
    Options
    Diabetes seems to have recently become a problem in my family and watching my beautiful inspiring mother struggle with it among other things is what got me to finally get off my butt. I am so sorry for the loss of your father and I would love to be part of your support system. I have not lost my mother (and she joined this site and has lost about 5 lbs so far), but I know what the fear of possibly losing one feels like. You are beautiful and you are going to do amazingly! Friend request is on its way!
  • cjenkins91
    cjenkins91 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! The support on here is amazing! I'll send you a friend request and hopefully we can encourage each other! You're making a good decision and just know that it won't be easy but it will be worth it! When you feel like giving up just keep on going - one day at a time!

-Chelsey
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    We all need a great support system! I sent a friend request! You've already done the hardest thing, admitting you need help, and that's an incredible start!
  • theerachele
    theerachele Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa! Welcome! I'm going to send you a request! I'm here for support and encouragement! Best of luck to you on your journey! Doing it alone is really challenging! Hopefully with the support of others we can all help each other & stay strong!
  • Southernb3lle
    Southernb3lle Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    The support system here is fantastic. I also chose to start losing weight so that I didn't develop any more health problems.. and I also want to be around as long as I can for my kids. Feel free to add me. :)
  • SutapaMukherji
    SutapaMukherji Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    SEnding you a FR.
    Lets lose weight together :)
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    I recommend you join a MFP group for support. The people on here can be pretty mean as well, and ruthless in their answers. I admit I have a very ruthless side to me, if the person who is seeking advice isn't willing to take advice. That's when things turn very bad very quickly.

Congrats on making the first few steps towards better health! I wish you the best of success!

:smile: :flowerforyou:
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You'll find everyone on here super supportive and helpful. You're your best coach but you'll have plenty of cheerleaders on the sidelines. Best of luck and feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like support!
  • Gagirl79
    Gagirl79 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I too have stepped up and admitted the same thing!! And it really does help and I am finding it easier to continue this time. My name is also Lisa and I have 2 kids and I am 33......pretty close.lol I have struggled for sometime and finally have followed through for 39 days and I'm not stopping anytime soon. Good luck in your journey.....Feel free to add me :)
  • str8ngefruit
    Options
    Support makes all the difference. I think you're in the right place. Everyone here is great! We are truly all in this together :-)
  • jodie3134
    jodie3134 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Friend request on the way. We can do this together! I have similar weight loss goals to you and want to be healthier for my 3 kids!
  • LavaLisa190
    LavaLisa190 Posts: 14
    Options
    Welcome! There is a ton of support here. Sent a request!
  • chami1013
    chami1013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hello all! My name is Crystal and I'm a 35 year old who has struggled with my weight my entire life! Looking for some new buddies to help keep me focused and I'll do the same throughout our journey of weight loss and demanding our life back!
  • vanessabear
    vanessabear Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

You are awesome for realizing that you need to do this to break that cycle! Way to go! It's a hard road but you can do it, and you will! It's not about dieting, it's a whole life style change. Realize that you don't just diet then go back to your old habits once you've hit what you wanted, thats why we gain the weight back. You have to keep at it and be healthy for your whole life and be a good healthy role model for your kids :-) I'm not saying you can't eat those naughty foods sometimes, that's totally ok because you want to enjoy food and life and not feel restrained all the time. Give yourself a cheat meal every week where you eat pasta or a burger, or whatever food you know you want...as long as you were good all week. Drink tons of water, eat lots of veggies and lean protien. There is so much support on this website; just reading everyone elses posts motivates me and I get a lot of answers to my questions too. Keep up the good work, you're on the right track!!
  • stu1102
    stu1102 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Hi Lisa

your already winning by asking for support

You indicated that Type 2 runs in the family, it dose'nt have to be that way, as you realise, so now is the time to turn that around

People on this site are amazing

Please feel free to add me as a friend I will support you as much as I can on your journey
  • LooseitApril
    Options
    Everybody needs somebody :)