Lose weight or lift weights (or both)?

Options
I am currently about 7-8 pounds from my original goal weight of 145 (5'9"). I am not sure if I will be happy with that weight or want to lose more once I get there. I run several days a week right now, and I really enjoy it. I know there are benefits to adding weight training, though. I guess I'm just wondering...should I focus on continuing to count calories and get to 145 FIRST, then try to start adding weights to build lean muscle? Or should I start working on adding weights now in addition to calorie reduction? I didn't mention that I was about 195 when I started (my weight about 6 weeks after giving birth to my 4th child). I feel good for how far I've come, but I just still feel flabby in certain areas. Also, I see ladies on here mentioning how great "heavy lifting" is...can someone explain what that's about? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• Philllbis
    Philllbis Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You should add lifting now. Lifting will not only help with burning fat and getting rid of the flabby areas but will change your overall appearance for the better. Your diet is still important and if your goal is to lose you'll want to eat a slight deficit.

Look into Strong Lifts 5x5 or the New rules for weight lifting for heavy lifting. Heavy lifting really refers to working out with weights that aren't 5lb dumbells. You can still use dumbells but you'll be using a barbell for most of your exercises. I suggest Strong Lifts since you alternate 2 workouts and several lifting moves. It's a great way to start.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    You should add lifting now. Lifting will not only help with burning fat and getting rid of the flabby areas but will change your overall appearance for the better. Your diet is still important and if your goal is to lose you'll want to eat a slight deficit.

Look into Strong Lifts 5x5 or the New rules for weight lifting for heavy lifting. Heavy lifting really refers to working out with weights that aren't 5lb dumbells. You can still use dumbells but you'll be using a barbell for most of your exercises. I suggest Strong Lifts since you alternate 2 workouts and several lifting moves. It's a great way to start.
    Agreed. I've been doing NROL4W for about 2 weeks now, and I LOVE it already! There are groups on here for that and Stronglifts (those are usually the most popular options, especially for beginners).
    NROL4W group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w
    Stronglifts group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

However, you don't have to do either of those. Do what you like; you'll be more likely to stick with it if you enjoy it.

This is my new mantra:
    profilepic1355444_1.gif
  • shyroxxy82
    shyroxxy82 Posts: 11
    Options
    You should ahve been adding weight lifting to your regular workouts already. No one wants to be thin and squishy!! alot of people see a thin girl and think "wow she is in shape" NOT!!!!!!! Just cause your thin dont make you in shape. Tone is sexy!!! Its easy to gain muscle... But doing so the right way will get your the results you want. Woman, Rule of thumb is: at-least 3 sets and 8-12 reps per set... If the set your lifting is too heavy and you cant do more than 8 then its too heavy, if the set your lifting is too light and your doing more than 12 res then its not heavy enough. Dont try to lift heavy, it really does nothing for you. The reps count not the weight!! Cardio should be kept to no more than 45 mins a day. Too much cardio is bad. You wont burn more fat, you will actually start breaking down muscle.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Losing weight through diet and cardio alone will cause the loss of muscle tissue as well as fat. Resistance training helps preserve lean body mass while eating at a moderate deficit so that when you lose a pound, you're actually losing a pound of what you want to lose.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    We would you want to wait to do something that's so effective?

Lift!
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    The sooner the better. Enjoy! :drinker:
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    start now and just keep the calories deficit.

I lost all my weight while lifting. Works great.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will help you lose inches.

If you stayed 152 but dropped another 2 pant sizes would you complain?

I lift 3x a week and do running 2x a week and its been working great for me. I'm the same weight on the scale but I've lost 1% body fat in 2 weeks. I'm sure that loss will slow down eventually, but I'm celebrating it while I can.
  • 123dmc
    123dmc Posts: 13
    Options
    I bought the book by Rachel Cosgrove "The Female Body Breakthrough" (highly recommeded by my trainer) and just got her newest book "Drop Two Sizes: A Proven Plan to Ditch the Scale, Get the Body You Want & Wear the Clothes You Love!"

Rachel has sound advice and the books have great photos showing form. I like how they are geared towards women. The books have helped me tremendously and have given me ideas of lifting exercises so I feel confident when I go into the intimidating weights area of my gym. Which, after a couple of visits, doesn't feel so intimidating any more.

Good luck! :smile:
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights will help you lose inches.

If you stayed 152 but dropped another 2 pant sizes would you complain?

This! If you're new to lifting, you'll probably gain a little weight when you start, but don't let that discourage you. A lot of people see the number on the scale go up a bit when they first start lifting and freak out and stop. Don't do that! It's definitely worth it to lift. :flowerforyou:
  • Christismylife
    Christismylife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!