Broke the looooonnnggg plateau!

Options
darwinwoodka
darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
Been plateaued since April 9th -- finally broke it today! Only two tenths of a pound, but I'm counting it! It does happen!

Replies

• zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Great job! I've been at a plateau for almost a month now... ugh!
  • WeakCalves
    WeakCalves Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    How did you do it? Are you eating more?
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great job! I was recently in a plateau for a month and when it broke I was ecstatic.
  • proudmommy1003
    proudmommy1003 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Greta job. Same thing happened to me the scale didn't move for 5 weeks and then all of a sudden boom 2lbs down.
  • darwinwoodka
    darwinwoodka Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I did up my calories a bit. Reset from the 1200 min to 1300. Calculated my REE at 1328. I may actually go up higher. I tend to always exercise and eat back some exercise calories and really am almost never below 1400.
  • SaraC1977
    SaraC1977 Posts: 51
    Options
    Same to me! I plateaued even though I was exercising more, specifically running. I was so ticked off because running is supposed to burn serious calories. After a 7 week plateau, I finally broke it about 3 weeks ago. I dropped about 2 lbs. Then nothing for another 2 weeks.

Since I've been doing low cal /healthy eating for a little under a year (ie: lots of fruits and veggies, very little saturated fats, lots of yogurt, oatmeal, little to no meat-chicken/turkey, etc), I figured it was time to change it up.

So just about a week ago, I switched to modified low-carb and the weight has started to drop0 again. While I do enjoy being able to lose weight again after so much hard work, I don't think I will stick with it long term. I'm just using it as a push for a couple of weeks to boost my metabolism. I'm not a big meat eater, so forcing myself to eat lots of steak, chicken, pork etc is a problem. Also, while the crackers, breads, oatmeal missing from my diet now don't bother me too much, I really miss my yogurt, cereal, bananas, skim milk and potatoes.

We'll see how it goes. If I go back to low cal/healthy eating and I stall again, I might just have to do low-carb till my goal weight. I think everyone's body chemistry is different and what may work for some people may not work for others. It's possible my body just reacts positively to a low carb more than low cal/low fat diet.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    i just upped my calories and am on a 3 week plateau. Also having a lot of digestive issues but the doctor doesn't think it's anything serious, although I'm starting to think I'm allergic to something (really thinking gluten), but the doctor won't test me, so About to start cutting foods out and see if it helps, AND maybe then I'll break my plateau!
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    GR8T SV (SCALE VICTORY)!!!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    congrats! I had a plateau - the same #3 up and down since the end of February - finally started eating more and the scale is moving again - at a rather rapid pace, too!
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    very nice - what a great feeling!!
  • stephgcox
    stephgcox Posts: 9
    Options
    I have been pretty slow lately losing nothing one week then one then nothing. I just upped my calories today from 1200 to 1350 to see if that will help. I didn't realize that if you don't eat back what you burn off that it will slow your roll. Hopefully this helps get my scale moving again. Great Job!!
  • PLTransformations
    PLTransformations Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have mfp set to sedantary activity level, which suggests 1250 for me, and then i eat back my workout calories.
    I also eat 5 small meals a day to keep my metabolism working, and never any junk food, all steamed fish/chicken/rice dishes
    But for me the scales never change,,,,,
    im 'only' down 6lb since starting Insanity (on day 54)
    My waist has lost 2.5inches, and is now at the same size it was when i weighed 185lb - today im weighing 204lb
    I realise muscle weighs more....but id be lucky to have gained 2lb in muscle in 6 weeks
    I can feel my skin getting thinner (burning fat)
    but i need the scales to go down - any HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • teamstanish
    teamstanish Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    GO YOU! Breaking the barrier is awesome!
  • Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    i have mfp set to sedantary activity level, which suggests 1250 for me, and then i eat back my workout calories.
    I also eat 5 small meals a day to keep my metabolism working, and never any junk food, all steamed fish/chicken/rice dishes
    But for me the scales never change,,,,,
    im 'only' down 6lb since starting Insanity (on day 54)
    My waist has lost 2.5inches, and is now at the same size it was when i weighed 185lb - today im weighing 204lb
    I realise muscle weighs more....but id be lucky to have gained 2lb in muscle in 6 weeks
    I can feel my skin getting thinner (burning fat)
    but i need the scales to go down - any HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking at your food diary you ABSOLUTELY need to eat more. A lot more. 1250 for a sedentary male, is too low. Since you are doing Insanity 6 days a week, change your activity level to 'active' and eat up to your net goal daily. You will then see the scale go down!
  • phipps3113
    phipps3113 Posts: 16
    Options
    Your exercise and eating should both accomplish the same goals: maintain an increased metabolism. I would recommend a couple of things in general and let you all decide how to apply to your individual situation.

1. Eat six times each day. Plan to eat within a certain time range for each of these meals (I label mine: Breakfast before 0830, etc.)
    2. Drink water with each meal. Two cups before/during breakfast and one with each other meal. I shoot for 12 cups per day plus one to two for each 15 minutes of exercise.
    3. Avoid low carb as these type of diets will reduced the glycogen in your muscles which retains water for the cells and so you have the tendency to return the weight once the carbs return. You may have success when taking out a lot of carbs only because it is SO much of your daily calorie consumption.
    4. Maintain a balanced diet. Look at the percentages if you have the app on your phone as the day progresses. My plan is 15% PROTEIN, 30% FAT, 55% CARBS. I try to get in 100g of protein a day (I have a lot of calories) and not eat Crisco or similar really bad foods.
    5. Eat as many live foods as you can, fruits, veggies, seeds, nuts, grains and be careful of your portion sizes with meat and dairy due to the fat within them.
    6. Keep track diligently.
    7. Work out six days a week and always rest at least one day each week. Your intensity is your decision.

I hope this helps anyone who is stuck.

Mark
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I was at 1200 calories for 8 months and then 4 months with no lose. I was recommended to up my calories to 1500 per day but do it slowly at 200 per week. This week I have dropped 4 pounds so this does work.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!