Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Show me your free weight routines

I've always been into cardio. I love a good run as much as the next cardio lover! I hit a plateau forever ago, and still run
five days a week.

But I think it's time to hit the free weights and replace about 25% of fat with muscle.

I've heard that free weights is much better than the machines that do half the work for you, and I believe it!

But I'm not quite sure where to start. :)

Suggestions?

Edit for typo.

Replies

• crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    I've been doing NROL4W (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w ) and love it. I've also heard great things about Stronglifts 5x5 (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women ).

Try a few different things, and see what you enjoy. Also, if you haven't really done lifting before, try to find someone who knows what they're doing to help you get started and watch/correct your form. Form is a HUGE deal because bad form can cause serious injury.
  • Dementedllama
    Dementedllama Posts: 177 Member
    I've been doing NROL4W (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/102-new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-nrol4w ) and love it. I've also heard great things about Stronglifts 5x5 (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women ).

Try a few different things, and see what you enjoy. Also, if you haven't really done lifting before, try to find someone who knows what they're doing to help you get started and watch/correct your form. Form is a HUGE deal because bad form can cause serious injury.

Thank you!
  • skinnybetch78
    skinnybetch78 Posts: 34 Member
    New Rules of Lifting for Women book, or Strong Lifts app. I am about to start Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer, you can find it on bodybuilding.com. Free!
  • crista_b
    No problem! If you want to start NROL4W, I'll recommend what I do to everyone just starting it... Join the group. The book can seem kind of confusing at first, but the group is very helpful in clearing things up.

I've heard that Stronglifts is easier to follow as a newbie, but I haven't done it so I don't have a personal opinion on it.

Good luck and enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • Dementedllama
    New Rules of Lifting for Women book, or Strong Lifts app. I am about to start Jamie Eason's Live Fit trainer, you can find it on bodybuilding.com. Free!

Thank you! I bough the New Rules of Lifting for Women book awhile ago and never read it. I guess I had better get on it!
  • Dementedllama
    No problem! If you want to start NROL4W, I'll recommend what I do to everyone just starting it... Join the group. The book can seem kind of confusing at first, but the group is very helpful in clearing things up.

I've heard that Stronglifts is easier to follow as a newbie, but I haven't done it so I don't have a personal opinion on it.

Good luck and enjoy! :flowerforyou:

Thanks! I think I'll join the NR group and go for it. I can always do the other one if that one is too hard. :)
  • fruitloop2
    fruitloop2 Posts: 437 Member
    I do the Strong Lifts 5x5 right now. I like how straight forward it is compared to NROLFW. I have that book too and although I like the exercises/routine, I found it to be a bit complex. I may go back to it at a later time though.
  • Dementedllama
    I do the Strong Lifts 5x5 right now. I like how straight forward it is compared to NROLFW. I have that book too and although I like the exercises/routine, I found it to be a bit complex. I may go back to it at a later time though.

Hmmm, I'll research them both before I start then. I really need routines that are easy for me to understand.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLz2CgJxIvloXz-yEQ8bm9WRGSu5q5GXyEx_K2UD-jY-dLOlFrlg
  • crista_b
    *edited - you got the resize before my post went up. :smile:
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Monday and Thursday:
    Chest
    Bench 4x12
    Dips 4x12
    Pullover 4x12
    Back
    Chinups *
    Bent Row 4x12
    Deadlift 10,6,4
    Abs
    Wheel 4 x 12

Tuesday and Friday:
    Shoulders
    PC+Press 4x12
    Lateral Raise 4x12
    Face Pull 4x12
    P.Press 10,6,4
    Arms
    B.Curl 4x12
    Sit DB Curl 4x12
    CG Bench 4x12
    Tricep Push 4x12
    Wrists
    Wrist Curl 4x12
    R.Wrist Curl 4x12
    Abs
    Bicycle 4 x 25

Wednesday and Saturday:
    Thighs
    Squats 4x12
    Lunges 4x12
    Leg Curls 4x12
    Calves
    Calf Raise 5x15
    SL DL 10,6,4
    GM 10,6,4
    Abs
    R.Twist 4x12
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Any beginner program that is intelligently progressive. You definitely want an actual program...don't just make **** up on your own...you'll waste a lot of time. I'm partial to strength routines for beginners...get a good functional strength foundation.

Starting Strength is my preference...Strong Lifts 5x5 is good too, Im just not a big fan of the 5x5 format, expecially while you're at a deficit of calories...might change my toon at a surplus or even maintenance. New Rules is good and my wife is doing it now...seems to sacrifice some strength gains for more physique work (I think rep ranges are 10-12). I'm currently doing 5/3/1...it can be geared towards a beginner, but it's more of an intermediate routine.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Suggestions?

I do a real simple routine.

Squats: 3 work sets of 5 reps
    Deadlifts: 3 work sets of 5 reps
    Pendlay Rows: 3 work sets of 5 reps
    Bench Press: 3 work sets of 5 reps

I do warm up lifts of increasing weight until I hit my work weight. Rest a much as I need to between sets, but the reps happen on after the other, and I don't re-rack until the set is done.

The pendlay rows need to be done right, and I'm doing those to gain some explosive power, those lifts are basically, grab the bar, position body, begin the lift and accelerate it up as hard as you can, return to the ground, remove hands, regrip, do it all again.

Got the setup from Starting Strength, except for the pendlay rows, those are a custom add.
  • Dementedllama
    Any beginner program that is intelligently progressive. You definitely want an actual program...don't just make **** up on your own...you'll waste a lot of time. I'm partial to strength routines for beginners...get a good functional strength foundation.

Starting Strength is my preference...Strong Lifts 5x5 is good too, Im just not a big fan of the 5x5 format, expecially while you're at a deficit of calories...might change my toon at a surplus or even maintenance. New Rules is good and my wife is doing it now...seems to sacrifice some strength gains for more physique work (I think rep ranges are 10-12). I'm currently doing 5/3/1...it can be geared towards a beginner, but it's more of an intermediate routine.

Starting strength... okay I'll look into that one as well.
    Thank you!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member

Starting strength... okay I'll look into that one as well.
    Thank you!

I also just recommend the book starting strength regardless of what program you do...it can be a bit overwhelming and it's pretty long, but the illustrations and explanations of how to perform the various exercises is priceless.
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    When I first started lifting seriously (January 2013) I used this routine:

It's a mixture of machine/free weights. Rep range 8-12 reps

Monday: Chest/ Triceps

Chest: 4 sets of Flat bench Press Superset w/ Incline Bench dumbbell Flyes
    Triceps: 4 sets of Skullcrushers Superset w/ Seated overhead DB extensions

Wednesday: Legs/ Shoulders/Calves

Legs: 4 sets of Leg Press Superset w/ Squats
    Then..Walking Lunges Superset w/ Leg curls (4 sets)

Shoulders: 4 sets of Shoulder Presses (military press or DB's) SS w/ Side Laterals
    Calves: 4 sets Dumbbell calf raises

Friday: Back/Biceps

Back: Lat Pulldowns Superset w/ Seated rows
    Biceps: Barbell curls Superset w/ DB twisting curls

Then on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturday I did either Abs & Cardio or just cardio. I did about 20-30 minutes of cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for warmups and cool-downs, along with lots of stretching. Every week I tried to increase my weight for at least one full set.

I did this for about four months and then decided to give Jamie Eason's Livefit a try. Bodybuilding.com is an excellent source of information for how to use proper form for each lift and different routines. I'm on week 5 of the Livefit and it is kickin' my *kitten*! I don't have access to a barbell, but I'm doing just fine.

Hope my post helps! :) Happy Lifting!! <3
  • Dementedllama
    What I really desperately need help with is what exercises to do, when to do them, and how much weight to use. That's where I struggle the most.
  • Dementedllama
    When I first started lifting seriously (January 2013) I used this routine:

It's a mixture of machine/free weights. Rep range 8-12 reps

Monday: Chest/ Triceps

Chest: 4 sets of Flat bench Press Superset w/ Incline Bench dumbbell Flyes
    Triceps: 4 sets of Skullcrushers Superset w/ Seated overhead DB extensions

Wednesday: Legs/ Shoulders/Calves

Legs: 4 sets of Leg Press Superset w/ Squats
    Then..Walking Lunges Superset w/ Leg curls (4 sets)

Shoulders: 4 sets of Shoulder Presses (military press or DB's) SS w/ Side Laterals
    Calves: 4 sets Dumbbell calf raises

Friday: Back/Biceps

Back: Lat Pulldowns Superset w/ Seated rows
    Biceps: Barbell curls Superset w/ DB twisting curls

Then on Tuesdays, Thursday and Saturday I did either Abs & Cardio or just cardio. I did about 20-30 minutes of cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday for warmups and cool-downs, along with lots of stretching. Every week I tried to increase my weight for at least one full set.

I did this for about four months and then decided to give Jamie Eason's Livefit a try. Bodybuilding.com is an excellent source of information for how to use proper form for each lift and different routines. I'm on week 5 of the Livefit and it is kickin' my *kitten*! I don't have access to a barbell, but I'm doing just fine.

Hope my post helps! :) Happy Lifting!! <3

Thank you!
  • RhinestoneRocky
    RhinestoneRocky Posts: 124 Member
    What I really desperately need help with is what exercises to do, when to do them, and how much weight to use. That's where I struggle the most.

That's sort of hard for anyone but you to help out with, as a person's strength can vary.

Personally, I picked a Dumbbell that was heavy enough that the last two reps feel difficult, but not painful. You also want to pick a weight that you can use for each set, or you can just do a drop set. (From Wiki: using drop sets is a technique for continuing an exercise with a lower weight once muscle failure has been achieved at a higher weight.)

You also don't to go too hard too fast and risk injuring yourself. That's why I really enjoyed my three day split. :)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    5x5 can be brutal on a cut. I'm doing All Pro's SBR on a cut:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=147447933

Has a slightly higher rep range and it won't grind you into the ground too badly if you're in a calorie deficit (until you get a few cycles in, that is)