Suggestions For Strength Training and Sculpting DVD's

Options
I am doing Insanity currently and I am not happy with my results, at all. Judging from what I have read on here, I probably need to get into some more lifting and sculpting exercises instead of cardio based exercises because I am already in a healthy weight range.. I am one of those weirdos who loves loves loves workout DVD's. I have quite a few Jillian Michael DVD's and Biggest Loser ones, as well as P90X. I am wondering if any of you lovely ladies have any suggestions for me as to which workout DVD you suggest that is based more so on strength training, lifting and sculpting? If the workout DVD is geared more towards women, that is a huge plus!

Thanks so much!

Replies

• larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    waiting for the answers to this as well...
  • Foodie711711
    Foodie711711 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I personally enjoy jillian michaels and Jackie warner.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian too! I have almost every one of her videos, so I may go back to them if need be. I just want something different and Jackie Warner may do the trick - Thanks :) I will definitely check out her videos!
  • Diamond05
    Diamond05 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Looking to see the answers as well.
    I've just started Chris Powell The workout. Apparently a good one to begin
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Cathe (Friedrich) is advanced .... a couple of examples: http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-xtrain-super-cuts-6352

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/cathe-friedrichs-pyramid-upper-and-lower-body-7431
    .......options for: dumbbells, barbell, resistance band

I'm not quite up to her level .... I like Kelly Coffey Meyer DVDs. I like her 30 Minutes to Fitness series
    http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/kelly-coffeys-30-min-to-fitness-your-best-body-6107
    .... uses dumbbells

collagevideo.com is a great resource for "shopping" for workout DVDs .... they tell you what equipment is required, fitness level, and give you video clips & reviews.

You can search for DVDs that use the equipment you have.
  • nickymarie011
    nickymarie011 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much TeaBea :)
  • getrealforme
    Options
    Jillian Michaels Body Revolution. 90 day program, 30 min. 6 days a week. Tones, builds muscle, lose fat, sculpt. I love this program and the results are great.
  • mommabenefield
    mommabenefield Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I did CHALEAN EXTREME and i loved it, its the same amount of time as a cardio workout and you definitely feel great afterwards... i used to have a gym membership and don't have weights at home so i would just take a sheet of paper to the gym with the list of reps and what exercise i needed to do for the day... and then did my own cardio...
    Power 90 has a good basic strength routine

bodybuilding.com also has some great info for heavy lifting
  • sylf1966
    sylf1966 Posts: 52
    Options
    Good question, I wld also like to know. I also love DVD workouts because it takes out the guessing and it's like having my own trainer. I have several older videos that I dusted off and I am currently doing a different one each day and have added leg and arm weights which are helping me build/keep my muscles. To keep it interesting, I have 10 videos I have been rotating; each works out a different body part (abs, legs, buns etc) Billy blanks, Tamilee Webb are some older videos that still get the job done. I lost and kept off 51 lbs over 7yrs now and am currently getting rid of the last 30lbs with 13lbs to go! Keep up the hard work!
  • Unaisha8
    Unaisha8 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend Billy Blanks' Tae Bo videos as it helped me lose 3 and a half stones back in 2011. However, I'm combining his workouts with Jillian Michaels' 30 DS so that I tone up because I'm already 110 lbs. He even got a Celebrity fit sculpt DVD and it's really effective.
  • KristyHumphrey
    KristyHumphrey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Great info TeaBea!
  • jaxxie
    jaxxie Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    JM's Body Revolution - if you love DVD's and you like her....I personally loved the program.
    Depending on other goals you could also look into Stronglifts or Starting Strength. Both Excellent and both beginner programs.
    Just don't confuse Beginner with easy! It's not!
  • Stooooo
    Stooooo Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I am doing Insanity currently and I am not happy with my results, at all. Judging from what I have read on here, I probably need to get into some more lifting and sculpting exercises instead of cardio based exercises because I am already in a healthy weight range.. I am one of those weirdos who loves loves loves workout DVD's. I have quite a few Jillian Michael DVD's and Biggest Loser ones, as well as P90X. I am wondering if any of you lovely ladies have any suggestions for me as to which workout DVD you suggest that is based more so on strength training, lifting and sculpting? If the workout DVD is geared more towards women, that is a huge plus!

Thanks so much!

I know I am not a lady, but I thought I would chime in anyway. Chalean Extreme is an awesome strength building work out. She follows the philosophy of slow and heavy. Just my 2 cents.
  • julieharrell1
    julieharrell1 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    i still like the Cindy Crawford DVDs and the Buns of Steel series. They made be old, but they still work.
  • Healthy_4_Life2
    Healthy_4_Life2 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Supreme 90 DVD set. Reasonably priced and very effective too. This is a must try!!
  • travlinjess
    travlinjess Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I suggest doing ChaLean Extreme, if you can get your hands on it and some heavy weights. It's geared more towards women than P90X, and the work-outs are shorter and more enjoyable, IMO.

I am just getting started with it and am using between 16 and 25lb weights right now, depending on the move. I love Chalene, she's super motivating and this program focuses on sculpting and re-shaping the body. So far, I'm hooked!

Do a quick search and you'll find info and results on the program. Good luck!
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I too love/loved workout DVDs and I do go back to them from time to time, but I have found more success in reshaping my body by following this book: Body by You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness.

It is very easy to follow and has different levels of strength as well.

Good luck to you! :)
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friederichs and Chalene Xtreme - I would suggest Charlene Xtreme if you are new to lifting - she explains form really well...Chathe Friederichs got me the best results sofar, but she does go from the standpoint that you know what you are doing and does not spend a lot of time on form... het Slow and Heavy dvd is GREAT!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I think if you want to get into strength training to reshape your body, you're better off following lifting programs rather than DVDs. Google or search the groups here for "Starting Strength," "New Rules of Lifting for Women," and "Stronglifts 5x5."