heading to the beach.. love or hate?

Options

Replies

• iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    I love the beach. I would spend every day there if I could.
    I bring a big hat, sunglasses, tanning lotion, snacks, a magazine or a book, a volleyball. And friends. Don't forget your friends or family.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Oops...forgot my list of stuff to bring!

sunglasses
    Sunscreen...and it has to smell like coconut.
    Kindle
    Volleyball
    A jug of fruity, tasty cocktails
    snacks
  • kelleykay82
    Options
    spend every weekend at the beach..love it..no place like it drinks and lounging its awesome...have fun!!!!
    On the health side hard to find good food to eat..search out a fish place and stay away from fried foods..and I always do
    a morning run...so amazing to see the sun come up!!!
  • Mac_X
    Mac_X Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    HATE. Other than seafood, which is amazing, I can't really enjoy anything about it. I hate sand, I'm pasty-white Irish so I hate sunlight. I burn, then peel, then I am just as white as before. No tan, ever. I'm hot-natured (and fat) so the heat doesn't do it for me.
    Give me mountains and cabins and quiet, please.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Love! I just throw on a bikini and go!
  • ninu13
    ninu13 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I LOOOOVE IT! I live on an island, so I spend almost all the time in the beach....
    Stuff to bring:
    Sunscreen
    towel
    Umbrella
    bottle of fresh water
    Fruits
    sunglasses
    Surfboard
    Music
    Friends!!!:drinker:
  • amyx593
    amyx593 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I live in Pacific Beach, San Diego........ and it's officially swimsuit season here! That's another reason I'm here on MFP- I live at the beach, yet I'm not beach-ready :(

I throw on a bikini and coverup and throw a few things in my bike basket:

sunscreen
    tanning oil (with some spf)
    water bottle
    book or magazine
    headphones and iphone
    snacks
    towel
    sunglasses

If we're doing a beach day with my fiance's kids, we'll bring ladderball, pail and shovel, frisbee, boogie boards
  • joyincincy
    joyincincy Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    The family and I had a wonderful time last year in Santa Monica, but I have been to some beaches that really sucked (gross, boring, scary people, jellyfish galore). It all depends:smile:
  • lafferty4
    lafferty4 Posts: 10
    Options
    Our family lives less than an hour from the beach. We make sure to bring the sunscreen, plenty of water and our metal detector. We like to go around 5pm or later when the beach is less crowded and the sun is not at it's peak as I am super fair skinned and so is my daughter.
  • berriboobear
    berriboobear Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'll like it more after I meet my weight lose goal! ><
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Love love love the beach! Flip flops are an essential :) sunscreen, bikini and iPhone so I can make all my friends jealous ;)
  • kmykimi
    kmykimi Posts: 2
    Options
    Our family lives less than an hour from the beach. We make sure to bring the sunscreen, plenty of water and our metal detector. We like to go around 5pm or later when the beach is less crowded and the sun is not at it's peak as I am super fair skinned and so is my daughter.

Wow, nice to meet metal detector lovers. What kind of waterproof metal detector you've got? I have an Underground Gold Treasure Metal Detector with 3.5 Meters Depth. It has the function of distinguishing ferrous and non-ferrous metal. It used for detecting and identifying underground metals in fields of security inspection, public security organs ransack, scanning metal foreign matter in raw, fuel and foods. It helps finding several unknown coins. I bought from www.detectorall.com.
  • runningjen74
    runningjen74 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Beach - not particularly fond of as I don't like sand. But beach with the sun - hate it. I'm white and I burn. If I don't burn I get sun rash. If I wear sun screen I get prickly heat. I need to wear long sleeves, I get too hot, I get cranky, I don't sleep well at night if it's hot - more crankiness. I don't like sand, the list could go on. Only thing Iike about the beach is a walk along the sea front on a nice fresh day.

Bah humbug! Just as well I live in Ireland where this isn't typically a problem and I get to stay a nice person!
  • silencomortis
    Options
    I live at mission and grand. tryin to lean out for summer time!
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm in San Diego also...

LOVE LOVE LOVE
    the beach!!!
  • virgo1978
    virgo1978 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I love going to the beach! My must haves would be my dogs, their toys, sunscreen, blanket, towels, hat, sunglasses & a cooler with some snacks & water. :bigsmile:
  • CaraMeghan79
    Options
    Just about to leave to go down to the beach (5 mins away)
    I have packed a cooler with vitamin water, lemon water, raw almonds, dill pickles, 2 beers. My dog his leash and ball. Sunscreen, hair tie, large towel, book, phone, and sunglasses.
    :smile:
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    Options
    I hit the beach pretty much every nice day in the summer. I agree with pretty much what others suggested, but I really pare it down since I hate lugging stuff. I use 2 towels. One to lay on and one as a pillow and a dry off towel. 2 different sunscreens 30 spf & 15 spf. A wide brimmed straw hat to keep the sun off my face & top of my head. 2 water bottles. Snacks like peaches, granola bars, trail mix ... etc. Headphones are a must for your music in case you want to take a walk along the shore by yourself. Camera (see cell phone).

Don't leave food uncovered when you go to the water. The seagulls are looking for newbies =)
  • funforsports
    funforsports Posts: 2,656 Member
    Options
    Love the beach though there is not one close at all. Just don't forget the football.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Love the beach. Love the water even more.

I almost always go with dive gear (SCUBA or Free). Sometimes, I take the dive kayak.

Sunscreen, for sure. Almost always take the spear gun, in case I have a shot at a halibut. Which brings us back to food and fitness.

Diving burns a lot of calories. Laying on the beach with a cooler of calories does not.