Seeking Healthy Freezable Recipes

Options
nmn2
nmn2 Posts: 123 Member
I am super busy so I like to make things double when I can and freeze the rest. Lately we have been resorting to too many drive thrus and quick take out meals. It's time to stop making excuses and get some good healthy kid friendly meals made and in the freezer!! I'm looking for some new recipes and I'm hoping you'll all share! Thanks for your help!

Replies

• Poppiefresh
    Poppiefresh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I make a Crock Pot Lasagna that freezes beautifully. I mix mushrooms with sweet turkey sausage to bulk up the meat while cutting fat and use law fat ricotta and fat free mozarella.

Based on "My Meal" if you have a good sized portion, it's under 500 calories. I am experimenting with the ingredients each time.
  • Dianafrance8
    Dianafrance8 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I make crustless veggie quiche and taco turkey muffins. About 30 cals for the quiche and 70 cals for the taco muffins. Both of these recipes can be made into muffins or in a casserole dish? I'm playing with a low carb chile that is really yummy. G.turkey enchiladas with low carb, w.w.tortillas are killer too.

A fast recipe is Jiffy corn bread muffins with (anything) bacon, cheese, diced spinach, green onion and flax( and i add some splenda too) not super healthy for me, but quick and yummy, freeze well, great any meal type of food.My kids love all these recipes.

I also crock pot a couple pounds of fresh chicken ( don't add anything) bake a tray of tilapia , and brown a couple pounds of ground turkey. I weigh out 4 oz portions and put most of it in the freezer so I have fast, healthy food. Especially good proteins for a salad or in a light wrap.

Having single serving things in the fridge is great too. Light yogurts, hard boiled eggs, light string cheese, pre measured nuts, applesauces, packed fruits and veggies with dip, my own " lunchables", etc....also pre making containers of my salad dressing for the week is a must for me.

I agree with you, that if its quick to grab, we are less likely to run through fast food.
    Hope this helps. I can send specific recipes if you want. Just try one new thing a week, and pretty soon your whole menu is transformed.

You have little ones, so you need to keep it simple.
    You are doing great,
    Diana
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of freezable meals and get a lot of recipes off the BBC Good Food website. Check out my blog for some ideas - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com :)
  • sunshyncatra
    sunshyncatra Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I make a lot of freezable meals and get a lot of recipes off the BBC Good Food website. Check out my blog for some ideas - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com :)

Great blog! It's making me hungry :happy:
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I freeze a lot, portioned out to what you will need at a meal. Chili, stews, roast chicken that i shred, patties, chicken fingers, soups, baked beans, plain cooked beans so they are ready to throw into a salad or stew, rice....
  • WifeofPJ
    WifeofPJ Posts: 312
    Options
    Check out this website, www.Skinnytaste.com. I use it all the time there is even a section for freezer receipe's the Chicken enchilada soup I always have in my freezer in individual servings for a quick lunch at work.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I freeze a lot, portioned out to what you will need at a meal. Chili, stews, roast chicken that i shred, patties, chicken fingers, soups, baked beans, plain cooked beans so they are ready to throw into a salad or stew, rice....
  • kikilieb
    kikilieb Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You can freeze almost anything; straight from the pot to the freezer. The only thing I don't freeze (off the top of my head) is things with mayonaisse, lettuce, and certain raw foods like eggs. Although, cooked eggs freeze very well.

I have everything from A-Z in my freezer, portioned out into single servings and just heat them up for lunch and dinner. I do all my cooking on the weekend because I am just too busy during the week.

Just do a google "can I freeze [fill in the blank]"
  • ColorfulWeirdo
    ColorfulWeirdo Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I love burritos and I make my own so I can freeze them.

Cous Cous, baked chicken, peppers and salsa, spinach tortilla, whatever else- you wrap them in cling wrap and then aluminum foil and then re-heat them like you would any burrito (usually 1.5-2 minutes). Complete time saver for me.

I also often have soups.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I always keep crockpot soups, stews and chili's in the freezer. No real recipes I follow though. I just chuck stuff in and wait 8 hours and hope it is edible. Typically this method works well for me.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Good planning, OP!

When I lived by myself, I would cook up a lot at a time (I dont' know how to cook for just one, or even just 2, lol) and make my own frozen dinners since I'd get tired of it before I'd finish all the leftovers! Soups and stews freeze well, but depending on how long you plan on freezing them, you might want to vacuum seal or seal off the top with plastic wrap, to keep air out (freezer burn). Chili freezes too, but I found sometimes the beans exploded, lol. Now I'll just cook up extra protein (crock pot, pressure cooker, grill) and either use up any leftover veggies with it, or toss in some frozen veggies. I've frozen cooked, mashed sweet potatoes - bought them at the holidays while they were on sale.

Oooh! Google OAMC - once a month cooking. There are tons of recipes, and it's all stuff to freeze for later, or you make a double batch and freeze the 2nd batch, etc.
  • ayankeefan51
    ayankeefan51 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KolaCabana
    KolaCabana Posts: 19
    Options
    bump
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    bump for later... very interested
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Check out this website, www.Skinnytaste.com. I use it all the time there is even a section for freezer receipe's the Chicken enchilada soup I always have in my freezer in individual servings for a quick lunch at work.

This isn't freezer recipe but I have to say this site well, they had me at this:

sy7ddl.jpg