For SAHM'S

Options
What activity level do you set your account?

I have mine at sedentary cause I'm not on my feet all day long & I'm not the type that does deep cleaning every single day. I assign stuff per day. Ex: I'll do my daughter's room on monday, laundry tuesday, clean bathrooms on wednesday, clean my room thurs, etc.

I have two kids (2yr old & 8 month old)
4 month old puppy

the activities i do daily are kitchen &sweeping/mopping, changing diapers =), cooking, taking out the dog when my husband isn't home, playing with my kids

Replies

• ladyofivy
    ladyofivy Posts: 648
    Options
    Yup, sedentary. :smile:

I work out for roughly 3 hours a day, but I don't count my "cleaning" as part of my workout. Even if I am on my feet most of the day, I just chalk it up to "bonus" calories. :wink:

Edited to Add: I have a 5 year old, a 3 1/2 year old and a 1 1/2 year old puppy. :smile:
  • csingleton24
    csingleton24 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I do sedentary also. I don't count my cleaning either. Just working out.
  • ashley_h10
    ashley_h10 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    i think adding the cleaning is just grasping at straws...actual exercise should count for something, the extras you do are just bonus :)
  • gabyp0716
    gabyp0716 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    Actually just recently am I trying something new. I set my activity level to sedentary and I added like I do no workout at all. That way I know how much food I should really eat even on days with no workouts.
    That way then I can enter the calories burned from my HRM and its going to calculate the calories that I can/should eat back from working out.
    See if my method works as it started this week.
  • luvHim
    luvHim Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I count mine as active. I have five children ages 8 and under with 6 months being the youngest. I have two gardens that I keep up during the summer, canning & freezing of produce, and then the normal laundry 3 times a week, grocery shopping, cleaning, etc. I am on my feet alot and we have a house with 2 flights of stairs. Many times I am bushed by the end of the day and so ready to sit and do nothing. We do not have a TV and I rarely watch a video...so my only downtime is reading, sewing, or on the computer. So at least for the summer (since I have so much outside activity) I count my level as active. This has worked for me because when I cut back my cals lower in the beginning, I got lightheaded, shaky, and dizzy. So I have to have a substantial amount of calories just to keep up with my family. Plus, I have taken up running as my workouts and LOVE it!! I'm on the fourth week of the C25K program where I'm doing 2 miles 3xweek.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Sendentary!

I have a 3 year old & a 1 year old, whom I'm running after all day long! Cleaning continuously, walking up & down the stairs carrying loads of laundry, carrying around my 1 year old, playing soccer, badmitton, & volleyball with my son, gardening, mowing the lawn, basically running sh@t! lol I would only count actual exercise (eliptical, treadmill, laps, kick boxing, etc.).

My theory is this: UNDERESTIMATE ACTIVITY LEVEL & OVERESTIMATE CALORIC VALUES (leaves lots of room for error)

I did these same normal daily activities when I was fat, so why would I count them as exercise to give myself an excuse to eat more food, prolonging my weight loss!

Keep up the great work SAHMs :flowerforyou:
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I, too, put Sedentary. I have a 15 month old daughter and she keeps me busy, but not anything that elevates my heart rate for any real length of time. We do My Gym classes on Mondays and Tuesdays, and I keep forgetting to wear my HRM, but I bet I burn a few hundred calories in the hour class. Lifting, chasing, rolling around :) But that's just a bonus burn. :) I only count my calories burned through actual exercise (ie, purposely getting my heart rate up in order to burn calories and get into the fat burning zone on my HRM).
    While I certainly dont FEEL "sedentary", I do think that is the most accurate description compared to other "careers". (ie, i was a teacher in my past life.....on my feet allllll day, etc)
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Thanks for all the input!

The only thing I count extra are shopping whether it's groceries or fun shopping since it's something I don't do daily and I'm pretty wore out but the end of the day lol.