Thai food help please - low carb

Hi all,

So i'm going to a thai restaurant for the first time ever tomorrow. I am doing low carb and i have nooo idea what to have! Can any fellow low carbers recommend a starter and main dish that are low carb please?

I expect they will do salads so i can have that for main - any in particular lower carb??

And no idea for starters but thinking chicken peanut skewers?! xxx

Replies

• Bump :)
  • Anyone?! :)
  • AprilOneFourFour
    AprilOneFourFour Posts: 226 Member
    Som Tam - in more authentic thai restaurants, a salad with shredded green mango, cherry tomatoes, green beans, peanuts and chilli. There's some sugar in the dressing, but there's sugar in nearly all thai food. It's not huge amounts.

You can probably have a curry if coconut milk is allowed on your low carb. Obviously you can't have rice or noodles, but the curry is so filling and delicious it won't matter. There are usually veggie side dishes like those in Chinese restaurants.

There's usually a salad called weeping tiger which is seared beef on leaves with a piquant dressing - that would be very low carb.

Most of the starters - fishcakes, spring rolls, prawns in filo, corncakes etc will probably have to be avoided as they are most likely to have flour in them.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Tom yum soup, hot spicy with either prawns or mushrooms every time

Enjoy !

Does the place have a website menu ???
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Can't help ya... my favorite is shrimp pad thai which is holy carb heaven...
    which is why I hardly ever have thai :)

Papaya salad is also very yummy... but again, probably high carb.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 846 Member
    does this resteraunt have an online menu?

If yes I can take a look & advise you, my hsuband is thai & I eat it about 3 times a week so have swatted up on it alot.

That said, tom yum (soup) with prawns, curries minus coconut milk, yum (salad) like yum neua (beef salad) som tum (papaya salad), pad krapaow moo (minced pork with holy basil & garlic) and any kind of clear soup (like cabbage soup with silken egg tofu & minced pork balls) are all good choices. Also eat the dry foods with lettuce wraps instead of noodles or rice.
  • 2gabbee
    2gabbee Posts: 374 Member
    I recommend Chicken Satay-(chicken on a stick) & Thai Salad which usually is lettuce, tomato, egg, carrots,cucumber. Look up menu before you go. Easy on the peanut sauce.
  • rlong637
    rlong637 Posts: 25 Member
    I always get Nam Sod, which is a pork salad served on cabbage leaves, its delish!
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    mmmmm - som tam :happy:
  • Jahaza
    Jahaza Posts: 7 Member
    Helpful thread!
  • Devchonka
    Devchonka Posts: 3 Member
    Salads are good
    or any veggie dishes (double up on green veggies, and skip carrots and potatoes I usually replace it with mushrooms)
    I like tofu and eggplant because its pretty low carb and very filling
  • cmfaris8
    cmfaris8 Posts: 39
    Chicken basil is my go to at Thai places. You can basically order any meat or veggie dish just skip the rice.
  • rachface1234
    rachface1234 Posts: 227 Member
    Hey friend! To be honest I have eaten thai curry many times while on a low carb diet, usually the rice Is served separately anyways, so just push that to the side, dig in with a spoon and ENJOY! You can have a delicious savory bunch of veggies and meat or tofu with a creamy sauce, its super filling and you wont miss the rice :)
  • SCtolulu
    SCtolulu Posts: 154 Member
    This thread makes me want to go out for Thai! YUM!!!!