Sugar!

Options
I've already gone over my sugar intake with just a single serving of yogurt and a banana for breakfast! should I be as concerned about this as calorie intake? Does sugar burn faster than calories?

Sincerely,
Sugar hater

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    In respect to weight loss it's calories that count; as long as you're not diabetic and you're not going over on your calorie goal I wouldn't sweat it.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I've already gone over my sugar intake with just a single serving of yogurt and a banana for breakfast! should I be as concerned about this as calorie intake? Does sugar burn faster than calories?

Sincerely,
    Sugar hater

Sugar is essential, so don't hate on it too much
  • Shea0482
    Shea0482 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks!
  • Shea0482
    Shea0482 Posts: 10
    Options
    Glad to hear! I'm new to all this so seeing I'm over on my first day was disappointing.
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    If you are getting sugar from whole fruits most people will say don't worry about it. Fruit contains more then just sugar like fiber, vitamins, minerals, and even antioxidants which are good for you the good outweighs the bad with fruit, also fruit is not very calorie dense so you will feel full from fewer calories. If you are getting sugar from table sugar, processed foods, corn syrup then you might want to look and see if you can reduce that consumption since those sugars are pretty much empty calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Sugar is just a carb. As long as you're eating enough fats and protein, your carbs/sugar aren't particularly important unless you have a medical issue that requires carbs/sugar to be monitored.

However, it should be noted that fructose and sucrose can only be stored as liver glycogen and not muscle glycogen. The liver can hold 100-120g glycogen so anything more than that will be converted to triglycerides. As long as you still have a calorie deficit this will even out. Just try to make most of your carbs glucose and not sucrose or fructose. Fructose in particular has been shown to decrease exercise performance, increased likelihood of gastrointestinal distress, and increase perception of exertion.

Here are some studies:
    http://www.setantacollege.com/wp-content/uploads/Journal_db/the effects of glucose....pdf

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3592616

As long as you're under your calorie goal, you'll lose weight. Some people find that sugar (even from fruit) causes them to have more sugar/carb cravings so keep that in mind.

For information on setting your macro target, read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/911011-calculating-calorie-macronutrient-needs?page=1#posts-13821336
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Does sugar burn faster than calories?

Think about what you just said here, haha. :)