anyone familiar with or take sentraline(zoloft)?

Options
Hey!!! I take sentraline for my anxiety attacks. ...I've gained about 30 pounds on it. My sedentary junk food eating life style may be a factor too..anyway. for about five weeks now, I've changed my eating habits exponentially and have been doing cardio 30-45 minutes 5 days a week.I lost 9 pounds so far. And now it seems like I'm platoing almost. Is it possible to Plato so soon? Idks

Anyway, I wanna ask, can Zoloft lower your metabolism? If anyone has lost weight while taking Zoloft. Do you have any tips!!?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    I take Zoloft. Assuming I consume fewer calories than I burn, I lose weight. Not every day, not every week, but long term over time (like months). You're doing fine. Log your food, do some exercise, maintain a reasonable calorie deficit and you will be fine.
  • FitToBeKim
    FitToBeKim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm on zoloft (50 mg) and two other meds.
    I am actively losing slowly.
    Try to stick to your calorie goal and it will work out good for you !

Keep up the good work !!
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I know someone who gained 30 pounds in 6 months on zoloft. It's a common side effect. I believe it increases appetite/cravings. Good luck with losing the weight.
  • wiffe
    wiffe Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I was on it and gained weight. :( I'm trying to get more active now and we also changed my meds but I think I was better off on Zoloft but can't do the weight gain anymore. :(
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I took it for 4 weeks and gained 6 pounds in those 4 weeks despite working out harder, not eating any more than i usually do. The moment i went off it my metoabolism shot up again and i dropped the weight in a week.

Howver, mentally i felt GREAT on zoloft... its definately a toss up with what you prefer?
  • scapalbo
    scapalbo Posts: 19
    Options
    Sounds like you're at about 2 lbs a week, which is a good, healthy weight loss.

I don't recall GAINING weight on Zoloft, and my daughter hasn't gained inappropriately (she is a growing child, so she SHOULD gain weight)

It could be what the meds are TREATING are making you gain weight...and if that's the case, you're doing exactly what you need to do to break that.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    The weight gain is terrible, but my anxiety is gone. I almost feel afraid to stop taking it and getting anxiety again. So frustrating!!
    It definitely looks like quite a few people have gained on it as wellll though
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I actually lost weight on it.
  • dartaaa
    dartaaa Posts: 35
    Options
    I haven't gained a pound on it.... I especially asked my doctor to give me an antidepressant which won't make me gain weight and this really shouldn't . I'm taking the Sentraline Actavis :)
  • caseyg9888
    caseyg9888 Posts: 36
    Options
    I am Confucius about why Zoloft makes people Plato so soon.
  • SaraLily
    SaraLily Posts: 30
    Options
    I know I'm digging up an old thread but I also take Zoloft and unfortunatly, it made me gain 12 pounds in less than 3 months.
    I am sick and tired of it. I do feel better,(well, I used to until I gained all that weight!) I don't have panic attacks anymore, but DAMN, I can't look at myself in the mirror. What worries me is that the weight won't stop rising. Whatever I do, I gain weight. I force myself to eat a lot less otherwise I'd eat everything in sight.

I started exercising and eating a lot more healthier. But nothing works. As soon as my doctor comes back from his vacation, I'm calling him. I don't think it's normal to gain that much weight so fast. Plus, I'm always dizzy.

No, I'm not pregnant, I took a few tests so I can rule that out.

It's not like I don't know how to lose weight. I used to go to the gym 4X a week and lost 30 pounds.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used to take it, got off of it because it made me suicidal. However, it did lower my metabolism, as Cymbalta is currently doing. Gained 20lbs in two months after a lifetime of being 115lbs. SarahLily, I too am dizzy all the time.

I worried I might be pregnant, but it is not that. I eat healthy, I exercise, but I just can't drop this weight.
  • gigglybeth
    gigglybeth Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I took Zoloft about 10-12 years ago and I gained about 30 pounds. But I felt so good, I didn't care! LOL At the time they were denying that it affected anything regarding weight, but message boards were full of people saying they were gaining weight on it.

I took Wellbutrin for about 10 months 5-6 years ago and that was a much better fit for me. I had so much energy that for a time I was working out twice a day. I don't take anything now.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    sertraline makes you lose weight
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I take sentraline for my anxiety attacks. ...I've gained about 30 pounds on it. My sedentary junk food eating life style may be a factor too..anyway. for about five weeks now, I've changed my eating habits exponentially and have been doing cardio 30-45 minutes 5 days a week.I lost 9 pounds so far. And now it seems like I'm platoing almost. Is it possible to Plato so soon? Idks

Anyway, I wanna ask, can Zoloft lower your metabolism? If anyone has lost weight while taking Zoloft. Do you have any tips!!?

I take Zoloft (100 mgs) and really like it. It helps me with binging and anxiety. I have not wanted to binge in over 2 months. It has not effected my weight loss at all and I think it reigns in my appetite a little.
  • SaraLily
    SaraLily Posts: 30
    Options
    Well, I guess I'm special because it DID make me gain 10 pounds. I'm 138 pounds for 5'4 and it's too much for me.
  • marathon_mama
    marathon_mama Posts: 150 Member
    Options

OMG i'm dying right now. You are my hero.
  • BigBrunette
    BigBrunette Posts: 1,543 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Zoloft/sertraline for many years. It's hard to say if it has made me gain weight, as I was already gaining from my own unhealthy eating and exercise habits. But now that I'm eating at a deficit, it's certainly not preventing me from losing weight. I average about a pound a week.
  • Dani19711
    Dani19711 Posts: 33
    Options
    If you do not change your foodintake nor change your workout routine, you should be fine really. Antidepressants have the tendency to lower your appetite. There are however medicine known for weightgain due to changes in metabolism (Seroquel for instance).

I do know people who gained weight while on antidepressants but that was all due (without exeption) to a change in foodintake. I'm on Sertraline (100mg) for almost three years now and haven't gained weight. The first year I lost almost 15lbs because of the loss of appetite. Had to plan my meals ahead and learn to eat eventhough not hungry. Hence my reason for being here :)
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

This made my day...!