Dusting myself off, trying again..

Options
Hi all --
I'm new here, my goal is to lose 150+lbs. Basically, I'm sick and tired of being fat, sick, and tired! I've been trying to lose weight my entire life but the numbers just creep up, up, up. I had cancer surgery (thyroid) in mid-2011 and the illness/medications haven't been doing me any favors with feeling better/losing weight since then.

My "wake-up" moment was realizing that my weight can no longer be measured by the bathroom scale, or the WiiFit board, and I can barely walk a couple blocks without feeling winded. That and the fact that it's 90* outside and I'm too ashamed to leave the house in anything but jeans and bulky sweatshirt. The way I'm living my life is killing me (probably literally, if I keep going on this way) I need to change! I joined the local YMCA so I can take advantage of the pool and the fitness classes, hopefully I can stay motivated and on track.

Looking for people who are on a similar journey and wish you all the best.

Replies

• chrissie923
    Options
    Good luck! I'm in a similar place right now. I need to lose 80-90 pounds. About 3 years ago I lost a lot of weight, about 60 pounds, and since then--really in the past two years--I gained it all. My realization just came last week when my sister made me sit down and look at two pictures of myself to see how much weight I gained. Switching into the plus size department should have been my "ah ha" moment but sadly, it was not. I'm trying to get back into my old habits slowly. Last time I lost a lot of weight by working out fanatically but not changing a lot about what I was eating, this time around I want to change both habits for the better.

I hung my goal bathing suit up in my bedroom and a picture of me at my ideal weight on the fridge as motivation.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Welcome and thanks for sharing your story with us. My only advice is to remember that setbacks are ok and totally normal as long as you don't let them stop you. Don't expect perfection. Just keep trying.
  • TheBigDog923
    Options
    If you need some encouragement, feel free to add me. I've got a lot of weight that I'm slowly taking off. The path is not easy, if it were, everyone would be doing it... and sticking to it. My best advice is to work at it a little everyday. Don't beat yourself up when you have a bad day, they happen. Pick yourself up, and get back on track the next day.

You can do it.
  • yemkomo
    yemkomo Posts: 3
    Options
    Hello, I am realatively new although I have had the app for about a year or so I have never really used the website. Welcome to this weight loss journey. Be kind to yourself wherever your journey takes.
    I have found that finally documenting everything that I put in my mouth as made me accountable to myself. Although I resisted doing this for the longest time.
    Anyway enough about me welcome and I wish you great success, remember take one day at a time and be kind to yourself.
  • mdraper60
    mdraper60 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I have 100 more pounds to lose to be at my ultimate goal weight and am always looking for new friends to encourage and get encouragement in return. Feel free to add me if you like!
  • Trillian73
    Trillian73 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Like you, I've been trying to lose weight my entire life. I had some success when I was younger, before I had kids, but even then didn't keep all of it off for more than a few months. I'm also sick and tired of feeling fat, sick and tired. I have 3 teenage daughters that I can't keep up with - not to mention the horrible role model I'm being. My wake up call should have been having to ask for the seat belt extension on an airplane back in March. It was, and I did well for a couple weeks - until Easter came. :/ Had another trip last week and again had to use the seat belt extension on the smaller plane I was on.

My 40th birthday is coming up later this year and I know the age added to the weight is going to be a real problem, and probably soon. I've been fortunate so far. My ultimate goal is to lose around 120-130 pounds, but for now I'll settle getting under the 200 mark - which is still a huge amount of weight to lose for me at the moment.

Feel free to add me and we can try to keep each other motivated!
  • madacali
    madacali Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    You are in the best place for support. I can't tell yo how much I've learned on MFP. I take it one day at a time and i try to do some sort of exercise every day. I swim too and enjoy it. Friend request sent your way.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!