I've eaten really bad today...

Options
I had oatmeal at 6 AM, and that's fine, but then for lunch at around 1 I had 2 slices of cheese pizza! and 2 oatmeal cookies. I feel really bad, I shouldn't have eaten it, but I was hungry, and my teacher bought us pizza.

I don't know if I should just not eat anything else for the rest of the day, and go exercise for a while to try and make up for it? I hate that this happened, I shouldn't even be eating dairy, I'm slightly allergic. Also, I feel like it just messed me up for my weight loss.

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Regarding weight loss, you probably won't even go over your calories for the day, you're fine. Don't stress about it.

But yeah if you're allergic, you shouldn't be eating that then...
  • abbyrae1
    abbyrae1 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    don't stress! we all have bad days! Keep logging what you have eaten today, try to make healthy choices for the rest of the day, if you have time and can exercise or go for a walk, do it. Keep a positive attitude and make sure you make good choices tomorrow!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    One bad day of eating won't ruin your progress. Trust me, I've had my share of bad days! You may see an increase on the scale in the next few days thanks to water retention due to the excess sodium and carbs in the pizza. If that's going to throw you off then don't weigh yourself for a few days!

The next thing to do is assess the damage. Log the pizza, even though you don't want to, and see how bad it is. Can you make it work, anyway?

Personally, I would recommend eating a sensible dinner no matter what the calories in the pizza looked like and workout a little harder to make room for it. But I try not to punish myself for a bad day because I don't want to get into a food-is-the-enemy mindset. You'll have to decide what works for you.

Learn from this and decide how you want to deal with it next time. There will always be unexpected pizza and donuts and whatnots in life. Do you want to say no to them forever or be able to partake in a sensible portion? That's where the whole lifestyle change instead of diet advice really comes into play.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Good God it's Friday!

Who isn't eating pizza and cookies??
  • chadraeder3
    chadraeder3 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A little slip is ok just don't make it in to a daily occurrence. You didn't gain the weight in one meal and you wont loose it in one. Treat yourself every now and then, people say it will help your body by convincing it that there is going to be more calories and it doesn't need to hold on to every last calorie.

Maybe use the calories to do a little more exercise.
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Cheese pizza isn't that bad, and the cookies were made of oatmeal. Practically diet food. You're fine.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Say 10 Hail Mary's, eat a 4.8 ounce chicken breast and some steamed cauliflower as penitence.

Pizza is not the enemy. It won't kill you.

Except Pizza Hut. That stuff is the devil.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Pizza - bread and cheese (veggies and meat too if you choose these toppings) are not bad for you....nor does combining these ingredients make it bad for you.

And as others have said....one bad day shouldn't be your focus. No one got fat in a day.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I will never understand what is wrong with pizza.

That said, your teacher bought you pizza? Are you old enough for this site?
  • mandeenicoleb
    mandeenicoleb Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Keep on going. Don't feel bad. If you want to exercise later, go ahead...but don't kill yourself. Also, don't not eat later if you're hungry. If anything, make smarter choices later being that you already had a cheat meal :)

I say, if you eat bad all the time and then decide to randomly eat one salad, will you lose weight?

Well it works both ways. If you're doing it right and have one "bad" meal once, you're still good.

The danger is only in giving up entirely.

You're good, trust me!

Final note--I usually go over my calories 1 or 2 days out of the week (maybe 500 or so), but since I still have a deficit from the rest of the week, I've still been losing weight consistently week to week.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up! I had a box lunch at work today due to a long meeting, and I ate the bag of potato chips that came with it, despite initially setting it aside. Something about being in a meeting for 4 hours gave me a salt and fat craving.

Just log the calories, take a look at your daily total, and go from there. In your shoes, I would still eat a reasonable dinner--maybe a little lighter than normal--and try to make up any calorie excess over the next few days, rather than all at once. I logged my potato chips, and I'll take the equivalent calories out of dinner.

Remember, you're in this for the long haul, and if you're good most days, you can allow yourself indulgences from time to time. No one is perfect, and you need to eat now like you'll want to eat the rest of your life.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    well you might as well go al out and add lots of booze now.
  • andiroot
    andiroot Posts: 43
    Options
    I just ate a big tub of yogurtland tart so you're not alone. but log it, see the damage and hit extra gym time if you must. eat smarter for dinner and drink lots of water to help your body feel not so polluted. that's my plan.
  • goldenvulture
    Options
    Lmao I'm 18, so yes I am old enough for this site. Our teacher is really nice though, and I think she appreciates the fact we tried hard in her AP Macro class. Plus, we graduate tomorrow.
  • srichardallen
    srichardallen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    You can't beat yourself up for one day of slipping up. We all have those days and they won't hurt your weight loss progress (It's just one day, after all). Just tell yourself you won't do that again for a while. This can be your "fatty-food day" for the month.
  • Pnuke77
    Pnuke77 Posts: 23
    Options
    What I wouldn't do for one more summer vacation.