Embarrassing Flatulence at the Gym anyone???

Options
Ugh. Yes, I just posted this.. am I the only one who struggles with this issue at the gym? I eat as healthy as I can and do avoid beans at all costs lately but to no avail. 20 squats later and I'm running to the back of the studio and out the door! Is there any help out there for those struggling with this issue? I've tried beano before too.. it gives me cramps! : /

Replies

• blc1971
    blc1971 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue and Beano does me no good! I find that if I limit what I eat within 2/3 hours of going to the gym it helps. I come from a naturally gassy family though so I'm not sure what will help. I love beans and cabbage but high-fiber foods always treat me the same way.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Now you know why I work out at home! :laugh:

Everybody farts, it's a fact and when you squat it's going to happen. Depending on your workout schedule you may try reducing the fibre in your diet the day before a strength session. There are other anti-gas product on the market that may not give you the cramping.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    What's going on here? My phone app sent me an alert me that someone mentioned farts.
  • sunglasses_and_ocean_waves
    sunglasses_and_ocean_waves Posts: 2,757 Member
    Options
    What's going on here? My phone app sent me an alert me that someone mentioned farts.

LOL!

I don't have an answer, but now I understand why Jillian Michaels named her workout "Ripped in 30."
  • raisingemilyjune
    Options
    sometimes my fiance farts while using weights. it's hilarious lmao.
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    lol! :D
  • DesdemonaRose
    DesdemonaRose Posts: 190
    Options
    I have that issue if I work out in the morning without eating (sometimes a requirement of the job, but not recently thankfully) or if I just haven't worked out in a while. It's like fat gets built up and moving makes it loose. If you do some belly centric yoga before the gym it might help push out any bubbles so they don't come out at the gym. I haven't had any problems since doing yoga in general. however, I don't squat at the gym, so that might be part of it. I use an eliptical or bike (with heavy resistance on both).
  • Annwillbeslim
    Annwillbeslim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Have you tired Gas-X the tablets are less effective for me but the extra strength capsules work wonders for me.
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i try to hold it between lifts, so i don't lose any guts. maybe it's your pre-workout supplements?
  • cherryd69
    cherryd69 Posts: 340
    Options
    In it for fart humor!

Although tbh, jumping jacks are the worst for this on me... every arm raise *parp

Trampolines too.....

I avoid bouncing.
  • Michaelsdin
    Michaelsdin Posts: 146
    Options
    I fart i dont care what others think its a part of human nature u try to hold it u can cause more pain than good. let it go no one cares just don't stink like a** and do it.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    "The pulsating movements of vigorous exercise can trigger involuntary venting" of gas, according to this article:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/381221-flatulence-exercise/#ixzz2UtyJKDUv

This thread has brought out my inner middle schooler, and I chuckled at that sentence in the article.

Judging by the unpleasant smell that accumulates near the treadmills in my gym, you are definitely not the only one with this problem!
  • janebshaw
    janebshaw Posts: 168
    Options
    Don't feel bad. It happens to everyone.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    This is why I workout at home. Sure I get funny looks from the dog, but who is she to juddge?
  • marciebrian
    marciebrian Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    hysterical unless its you I guess
  • TheDietingKatie
    TheDietingKatie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, I feel safe behind my computer saying this - I make myself fart before going to the gym!
  • Loftearmen
    Loftearmen Posts: 380
    Options
    Flatulence? yes

Embarrassing? no
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    my gym only has 2 squat racks...it's effective.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I had two recent gym fart situations, both involving squats.

A friend of mine was working out with me. He set up the bar with my weights and I got under and ready to lift it.......when I felt a fart coming on. So I just stood there for a few seconds. Then did two squats when I felt another coming on. Paused again. Finally he said, "You okay? It's lighter than your last set......you should be pounding these out." I just laughed and whispered, "Sorry, I need to fart......hang on a sec." He about fell off the bench the laughing.

Last night my trainer had me doing squats. So I'm doing them and he's in front of me. Then he says, "Wait, I want to watch your form." He pulls up a bench behind me and sits down. That's right my @$$ was directly in his face. The whole time I'm thinking, "Do not fart.....do not fart......do not fart......" Then again, if I did........well, he had it coming sitting *right* there! Sheesh!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I had three bowls of chili and almost didn't make it to the men's room at my gym. Those were not farts!

Count your blessings . . .