high protein energy bar?

Options
do protein bars help you lose weight? do you eat them as a meal replacement, snack or before/after a workout? I bought a couple of them but im not to sure about them. I want to lose weight not gain. theres 20 grams of protein, 270 calories, 5 grams fat, 115mg sodium, 35 grams of carbs, and 20 grams of sugar, this doesn't sound very healthy to me at all...but I know NOTHING about these things! someone help me out!

Replies

• manique45
    manique45 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that is a trainer and he told me that it really isn't a protein bar is there is more sugar grams in the bar than there are protien grams.... I was like WOW my favorite one is pure protein.... but I usually eat it as a breakfast or after a hard core insanity work out... always fitting in my calorie allowance..
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    do protein bars help you lose weight? do you eat them as a meal replacement, snack or before/after a workout? I bought a couple of them but im not to sure about them. I want to lose weight not gain. theres 20 grams of protein, 270 calories, 5 grams fat, 115mg sodium, 35 grams of carbs, and 20 grams of sugar, this doesn't sound very healthy to me at all...but I know NOTHING about these things! someone help me out!
    Protein bars/drinks do not help you loose weight nor do they make you gain weight. you will gain if they make you go over your daily calories overtime.

the best bars IMO are Quest bars.
  • SchroederNJ
    SchroederNJ Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    QuestBars rule --- loving the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough
  • mjl54
    mjl54 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    QuestBars rule --- loving the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough

oh yeah i bought 3 cases of choc chip cookie dough of the last few months:blushing:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Protein bars/drinks do not help you loose weight nor do they make you gain weight.

This. You only gain weight if you eat more than your maintenance cals. There are better ways to ge extra protein in your diet, if that's what you need, but they are convenient!
  • goldstargeek
    goldstargeek Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I too eat the Quest bars if Im in a pinch. I only like the flavor of the Coconut or Banana Muffin one. 20gProtein to 24gCarbs and 170 calories. I try to eat clean/paleo and found this 'bar' to have the least garbage ingredients. I still prefer to get my food in the form of real food but these are great in a bind.

If Im having a hard time getting to my protein goal of 120g a day then I will drink an Isopure Zero Carb drink. Im only 3 months into learning to follow macros so that one has saved me a few times :)
  • djeffreys10
    djeffreys10 Posts: 2,312 Member
    Options
    The best tasting one I have tried is Eat Smart chocolate peanut caramel crunch. 330 calories, 12g fat, 33g carbs, 27g protein. I rarely eat them. I mainly just take them to the movies so I have something to snack on other than the popcorn that my kids eat. I usually just have the pure protein ones because they have some of the best protein per calorie ratios it seems.
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Atkins Advantage-Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar. Low in suger, high in protein...240 cals
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I take a couple to work. I work 12 hour shifts overnight and usually have enough calories when I leave for work to have one with some skim milk. I used to go the whole evening without eating until my meal break at 1 AM, so having this before midnight feels better for me. It's not a meal, I eat dinner before I leave just in case we're so busy that I don't get a break. It's easy enough to grab. I have a whole variety of bars, it's fun to seek out new ones.
  • Morgaath
    Morgaath Posts: 679 Member
    Options

Look on them as a fairly healthy alternative to whatever else you might eat. I keep them in my desk and car so that when I get the munchies, I have something to snack on that is not fast food.

For example, I just ate a Clif energy bar (Crunchy Peanut Butter) - 240 cals, 6g fat, 40g carb, 11g pro - as it will easily hold me over till dinner, which is about 3-4 hrs from now, and tween now and then I'll be fairly active. Compared to a Snickers Bar (296 cals, 16g fat, 35g carb, 4g pro), it is fairly healthy.
  • larsensue
    larsensue Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I like the luna bars or the cliff bars...