I need to work on my flexibility

Options
I am NOT a very flexible person, but I would loooove to increase my flexibility. Are there exercise that help increase that. Does yoga really work for that?

Replies

• srichardallen
    srichardallen Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. I have been doing yoga off and on for over a year and have just started to get into more intermediate/advanced exercises and it has helped my flexibility a lot. You should give it a chance. It'll also make you more relaxed and help with your breath control
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is the perfect exercise for flexibility. I was working on cardio and strength exclusively and found that I was getting more fit yet also more rigid. The yoga that I began to incorporate into my workouts a few days a week made a huge difference.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    YOGA

I've been doing Yoga for 10 months because of Fibro. I lost all my flexibility (I used to be a dancer), and when I was diagnosed I could barely walk for more than 5 minutes. Now I'm gaining strength and flexibility. I take 3 classes a week at a local studio.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    yoga
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yoga. Also stretching. Try to do some every day, preferably after you are warmed up.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I think yoga is the perfect exercise for flexibility. I was working on cardio and strength exclusively and found that I was getting more fit yet also more rigid. The yoga that I began to incorporate into my workouts a few days a week made a huge difference.

Yes .... this!^

A couple favorite DVDs

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/rodney-yees-am-yoga-for-your-week-5567 .... this is 5 - 25 minute routines that focus on different areas, hip openers, twisting poses, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/sara-ivanhoes-yoga-body-makeover-5586 ..... this is 5- 20 minute routines .... easy to add in something after your workout.

Asol .... test drive some for free .....Hulu.com has a healthy & fitness channel .... lots of yoga to choose from
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Yes .... this!^

A couple favorite DVDs

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/rodney-yees-am-yoga-for-your-week-5567 .... this is 5 - 25 minute routines that focus on different areas, hip openers, twisting poses, etc.

http://www.collagevideo.com/workout-video/sara-ivanhoes-yoga-body-makeover-5586 ..... this is 5- 20 minute routines .... easy to add in something after your workout.

Asol .... test drive some for free .....Hulu.com has a healthy & fitness channel .... lots of yoga to choose from

Great. Thanks
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Does yoga really work for that?
    Yes!

Also expect improved balance and increased strength. :smile:
  • stephaniemarie416
    stephaniemarie416 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am a former gymnast and a current gymnastics coach who is embarrassingly "not flexible" anymore. Why? Because I stopped stretching. I stress the importance of stretching nearly every day to my gymnasts but half the time I don't even stretch after a work out (by that point I just want to hop in a cold shower and eat lol). I have recently started taking my own advice and began stretching for several minutes (10+ usually) after working out and I have already noticed a difference. It's not fun but it works! Try pike stretches, bridges (but not for long, they are bad for your back if you do them repeatedly) straddle stretches, splits, butterflies etc. There are TONS of ideas online and its important to hold each stretch for at least a minute. If you do this at least every couple days you will almost certainly become noticeably more flexible within a month or two. I will also agree with the several posters who said yoga DOES make a difference. It does take time though. I took a class in school a few years ago and that really did make a difference but it took nearly the whole semester but hey, it worked! GOOD LUCK!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sex,, lots of it
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yoga is a perfect exercise. It's suitable for anyone--and I mean anyone. A good yoga instructor will tell you to only do what you can do. In yoga we never strain, we never do anything that causes pain, and we never do crunches. You will learn ways of exercising your muscles that will make them long rather than scrunched. Your joints will feel better, you will feel more open and flexible, and your lungs will gain increased capacity and breath control.

There are several types of yoga--you don't want "power" yoga as a beginner. I'd start with either a fundamentals class to learn the poses, or a slow flow class. You could also look into a class that works on flexibility specifically. Look specifically for the word "Hatha," which is a slower form of yoga meant to balance the mind and body through asanas (the poses) and breathing. This is excellent for a beginner.

You can do it at home on your own, but you won't get as much out of it as you will in a class with an instructor who can help guide you to proper forms. You will also learn fantastic breathing practice that will help you in your other workouts.

My flexibility has increased by 300% since I began practicing yoga. I take pieces of my yoga practice with me to both cardio and strength training, and use the calmness I've gained to better control my stress levels in every day life.
  • MeIShouldB
    MeIShouldB Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    sex,, lots of it

LOL part of the reason I wanna work on my flexibility
  • Lauracharder
    Lauracharder Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ^^ LOL