It was really this simple the whole time?

Options
So I've been logging for 140 days today, and luriking around the boards for a few weeks, but I thought I'd properly come out to MFP society today and introduce myself.

5 months ago I sat in the Dr's office, trying to compose myself after the scale read 323 lbs. For the first time in my life my blood pressure was high. My Dr. Was suggesting a sleep study to check for sleep apnea. I was exhausted all the time, could barely walk a flight of stairs. I was so moody and sad all the time that I was close to asking to try anti-depressants. I was pushing close to the size limits in my beloved Macy's womens section.

I was holding an extra-large coffee with cream and sugar from Dunkin Donuts in my hand- there was a donut in my purse.

When the Dr. left the room I immediatly texted my best friend- 'we need to diet!' I texted another friend who I knew was dieting, and she said she was just counting calores. Ugh, I thought, that's so 1980s, I need something that will work! But since I had no clue what that might be, I thought what the hell. I figured there's gotta be an app for that, and downloaded the most popular one I saw.

140 days later, I'm down 45 pounds. I started with zero confidence that this would actually go anywhere, after all, I thought- I've tried everything and nothing's worked! Uh, well, it turns out I've actually tried nothing. I've half-heartedly attempted: cutting carbs (lasted about a week), walking more (to dunkin donuts) , sketchy diet pills proccured in China (took one, got scared and flushed the rest), you know the drill. See, in reality I was always just waiting for some special thing to 'click' for me, and the weight to magically drift away.

I cannot believe it took an ipad app to make me realise that the answer all along was eat less, move more, pay attention, give a damn. For the first time, I know I am going to lose the weight that's bogged me down for 30 years, because it's just simple math! I literally cannot fail. I have never felt so in control of my life, so confident in my abilities, so hopeful about my future.

TL;DR- 'boring' old counting calories is rocking my face off, and using MFP is already one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Replies

• AndyJo29
    AndyJo29 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Good job, and keep up the good work! I just joined today, and it's exciting to read this. :happy:
  • whitterbugkru
    Options
    GREAT job!
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your achievement. You must be very proud of yourself. Many thanks for sharing

Please stay with us at MFP for the rest of your journey.

Keep up the good work

Good luck in your journey
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HOORAY for YOU!! Sometimes it just takes a little more time for some of us (me included) for the light bulb to go on. Continued success!!
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Absolutely awesome!!! Nice work!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No kidding. Add in learning to run with a Couch to 5k app and you have my experience in a nutshell.
  • WestCoastWild
    WestCoastWild Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yay!! Awesome job, so great to read that :)
  • Sandylovesm
    Sandylovesm Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Your story us amazing. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see you in the Succes Stories board !
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    YAY!!! Keep up the good work. YOU are worth it!!!

Marie
  • GeekAmour
    GeekAmour Posts: 262
    Options
    You & me both sister! x
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    That is a wonderful story. Congratulations of fininding your "Magic Pill" Who could have guessed it was an app. :laugh:
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Good job, and keep up the good work! I just joined today, and it's exciting to read this. :happy:

You will not regret it! You don't need any luck, but I'll wish you a fun and happy journey!
  • Skrib69
    Skrib69 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! It is curious how you need that mental switch to flick over to make things work for you! Perhaps you could talk to my brother - I know he is struggling! Keep on logging and losing
  • ZombieEarhart
    Options
    Your story us amazing. Keep up the great work, can't wait to see you in the Succes Stories board !

Thanks! Imagining my success post is one of my favorite ways to drift to sleep at night! (which, it turns out, is way easier when you exercise every day, who knew?)
  • GiddyNZ
    GiddyNZ Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    the answer all along was eat less, move more, pay attention, give a damn.

I love this ^^

Congratulations on your loss so far!!
  • ZombieEarhart
    Options
    No kidding. Add in learning to run with a Couch to 5k app and you have my experience in a nutshell.

I just worked up to running 60 seconds in my own pre-C25K plan, yay!
  • tootoop224
    tootoop224 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way. People hate asking me for weight loss advise. It's like the shortest conversation ever, "Eat Less", period, end of conversations. Come to think of it, I better work on my social skills.

Congrats on your weight loss, and "getting" it.
  • ZombieEarhart
    Options
    YAY!!! Keep up the good work. YOU are worth it!!!

Marie

Thanks, Marie! Figuring out this was a way to honor my body and that I deserved it is a whole 'nother post that would read like dialog from a lifetime movie, so I'll save that for when I'm feeling weepy ;)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I just worked up to running 60 seconds in my own pre-C25K plan, yay!

You rock!
  • ZombieEarhart
    Options
    That is a wonderful story. Congratulations of fininding your "Magic Pill" Who could have guessed it was an app. :laugh:

And it's FREEEE!