How to deal with meds that make you gain weight

Options
I'm on Cymbalta. Since getting onto a dose of 60mg, I've put on 20lbs. No other changes in diet and exercise. My doctor agrees it is most likely the meds. At 5'2 and 137, I'm just at overweight. I'm usually at 115-117. I want to get back down to there.

I can't get off the meds. I'm not going back there- Cymbalta is the only thing that has worked. So, what should I look to do to increase my weight loss? I've started cutting carbs, and I jog about 3 miles a day, and I seem to have plateaued.

So, is there anything I can do, or am I stuck?

Replies

• watchhillgirl
    watchhillgirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I am on arimidex for breast cancer. Have been on it since 2005. One of the side effects is weight gain. I just really watch what I am eating and workout religiously. It is very very slow. But just keep at it. I don't think there is really anything you can do, just watch what you eat and workout.
  • alliex
    alliex Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, I take clozapine and the side effects say "profound weight gain" as a common effect.
    I've gained over 100lbs in 2 years now trying to get on top of it.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I can so relate. I was on three different meds, all of them made me gain weight. One was a steroid, which made it even worse. :(

The only thing I can suggest is trying to increase the exercise a bit to increase your metabolism. Maybe in addition to the cardio add 20 minutes a day of yoga or strength training. The yoga is also good for your psyche.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain - a got a 60lb increase from prozac.

Firstly, don't let worrying about your weight make you worse in any way. I know that is easier said than done advice, but it worth trying to keep a handle on.

The next thing I would say is wait until your body has fully adjusted to the meds (you may have already), in the great scheme of things allowing your body 12 weeks to adjust to the meds you are adding isn't a long time.

Then make sure you eat breakfast - to kick start the metabolism each day and as others have said use a mixture of cardio and strength training.

One tip I would say. Take your meds at exactly the same time every day. I used to have a 06:30 alarm at which I would eat a biscuit, take my meds with a large glass of water (all ready by the side of the bed) and then if it was a weekend I would go back to sleep for a couple of hours.

Good luck on your journey, and God bless.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I'm on a drug that is supposed to make me gain weight but I've been losing it with a good diet and exercise.
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, me too! I started on Depo-Provera and gained 20 lb the first month. Fortunately, it stopped there, but the scale hasn't budged an ounce in the 9 months since. The only thing to do is keep eating well and exercising and accept yourself no matter what the number is on the scale.
  • Astacia74
    Astacia74 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    First - don't give up!!! Seriously, this is just a small stepping stone on your way to total wellness.

Second - keep doing what you're doing with your diet/exercise and, as someone else mentioned, try adding some strength training and yoga. I am a HUGE advocate of the effects of yoga on depression & anxiety as I was able to go off some really hardcore anxiety meds after making yoga a part of my life.

Third - I am here for you whenever you need support :flowerforyou:
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    First - don't give up!!! Seriously, this is just a small stepping stone on your way to total wellness.

Second - keep doing what you're doing with your diet/exercise and, as someone else mentioned, try adding some strength training and yoga. I am a HUGE advocate of the effects of yoga on depression & anxiety as I was able to go off some really hardcore anxiety meds after making yoga a part of my life.

Third - I am here for you whenever you need support :flowerforyou:

I do yoga! I actually really love it, and the best part is, it's actually a for-credit class at my university! Double win!

The meds are for PTSD, so I can't really see myself coming off them anytime soon... with them, I'm finally sleeping through the night/not having flashbacks daily.
  • RTDice
    RTDice Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    You'll get there one day, it won't be a walk in the park and you'll have a few "failed" (I prefer to say practice) attempts first, but you will get there.

I always find if I'm low that going for a walk helps - never had the flexibility for yoga, maybe I need to try it. :)

If ever you need some friendly support, feel free to msg me.
  • smartandtrim
    smartandtrim Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You'll get there one day, it won't be a walk in the park and you'll have a few "failed" (I prefer to say practice) attempts first, but you will get there.

I always find if I'm low that going for a walk helps - never had the flexibility for yoga, maybe I need to try it. :)

If ever you need some friendly support, feel free to msg me.

Not so much "low" as "hysterical crying suicidal panic". Walking involves outside, and when I'm low, I can barely leave bed, let alone go outside, without a panic.
  • indyducks
    indyducks Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As someone said, continue your healthy diet/exercise. How long have you been on the drug? Usually, the weight gain subsides once your body has adjusted to being on the medication. I would also recommend that you call the Lilly Answers Center (Cymbalta is made by Eli Lilly and Company), which is a help desk for patient questions. They are used to answering these type of questions and possibly have some advice or recommendations. With as many people as have taken Cymbalta, I am sure that they have encountered this.
  • magpie0
    magpie0 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    For me, just realizing that the weight gain on meds was mostly due to an increased appetite and not a metabolic change helped.
  • ShannonsCrazy
    ShannonsCrazy Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I love the medicine but I feel that the Lexapro has "helped" me put on some extra weight. Anyone have any experience with that. A doctor told me it's not m,uch that it's making you gain but it's causing you to crave carbs which in turn make you gain the weight
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I was on seroquel xr and I gained 80 lbs. My doctor sucks so he did not pay attention until my relatives started to complain. I lost the weight but it was a low process.. Just hang in there.