Protein

Options
I am alway over in my Protein! I am nlt sure if this in a big deal or not! I am under in all other areas, but the protein powder in my smoothie is poping my number up too much! Any ideas?

Replies

• BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I find that the default settings on MFP are too low. Having more protein won't harm you, just make sure you are drinking enough water. You can look at my diary to see how much I eat. :D
  • mikioi
    mikioi Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same thing... I go over every single day since i first joined (and i dont even drink protein shakes)
  • lynnie30
    lynnie30 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    this makes me feel so much better because I thought it was just me going over my protein! I agree that the goal is too low.
  • lilpenggwen
    lilpenggwen Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I always try to go over my protein and fiber and stay under for the rest of my nutrition goals. I have trouble getting my protein in (I don't eat very much meat) perhaps I will check out the protein powder.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    MFP settings are the standard for most adults, which is 0.8 grams per kg of bodyweight (your weight in pounds divided by 2.2). I weigh 125, so that would translate to about 45 grams of protein. (125/2.2 = 56.8 x 0.8 = 45.45)

According to the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), If you're training with moderate-high level cardio for longer than 30 minutes a day, or you're an endurance athlete, you should increase this to 1.2 to 1.4 grams per kg of bodyweight. For me, that would bump it up to roughly 80 grams.

If you're strength training at least 2-3 days per week, increase to 1.6 to 1.7 grams per kg, which increases my protein requirements to around 100 grams day, nearly double the standard for most adults.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So what if you are doing the cardio and the weight training? I am always over also but I do at least 40mins of cardio a day bpm bounces between 145-160 and weights 3 times a week. I am a 26yom. so that puts me in the moderate category . Right now I weigh 304lbs. I am training to go back into the Army. I need to lose alot of weight and keep all the muscle if possible. I am wondering if I should throw a protien shake in with my workout.
  • Joynh
    Joynh Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have tryed a few and the best one for me so far is Gen Soy (Soy Protein) Only 130 Cal for 14g of protein! If you want my smootie recipe let me know its pretty simple and tastes good!
  • scotlanded
    Options
    I'd like it if it's a vegetarian recipe (which I would assume it is, but just in case!)!

I don't eat meat at all and I'm always grossly under my iron & protein, so I'm looking for something to supplement my diet. I think it will definitely help with the energy levels and whatnot!