Vegetarians who eat 40% carbs/30% fat/30% protein?

Options
Pudding1980
Pudding1980 Posts: 1,264 Member
What the heck do you eat? I felt like maybe the macros breakdown that MFP had given me (50% carbs/15% protein/35% fat) was too carb heavy and protein light, so I am trying to change it around a bit. The breakdown I am trying now seems to be a more common one but as a vegetarian, I am having a hard time fitting in all that protein. I eat eggs, cheese, Greek yogurt, nuts...

Any other suggestions?

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Veggie protein powder.
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    So easy for a vegetarian! I'm vegan and manage with nuts seeds , hemp protein powder! You've got dairy !
  • kittyhasclaws
    kittyhasclaws Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but....

Quinoa
    Beans
    Soy
    Meat Substitutes
  • kilroy123
    kilroy123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of:

- beans and rice
    - lentils
    - tofu
    - some fake meat stuff (google TVP)
    - high fiber bread that has seeds and nuts in it
    - vegan protein powder, if I'm not getting enough
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Not a vegetarian but....

Quinoa
    Beans
    Soy
    Meat Substitutes

The problem you run into is macros. Tons of vegetables have protein, but even "high protein" like the quinoa and beans you're looking at 3-1 carb-protein ratios. Get some fruits and other veg in there and you have a lot of protein to make up. Tofu and eggs are solid, but can get old in a hurry.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    I'm not a vegetarian but I love tempeh. I don't know the carb to protein ratio.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    I do eat beans and lentils, but try to avoid too much tofu or soy/fake meat products. Too processed. I do use protein powder in my smoothies some days, but it is whey based.
  • peabean26
    peabean26 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of tofu, Quorn, egg whites, cottage cheese, tvp and soy sausage/burgers. I plan my meals weekly, so I can get the appropriate amount of protein per day. I aim for 70-85g protein daily and usually get there without too much trouble. I use a lot of recipes from the Soy-Zone cookbook. I also find I can modify almost any recipe to substitute in Quorn or tofu for beans in order to bring the protein up to the right level.
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Hmmm. MFP is suggesting a daily intake of over 100g of protein for me; that seems like a lot so maybe I have it set too high?
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Protein powder pancakes have been tasting pretty good to me. I'm not a vegetarian, but I prefer not to eat meat three times a day.
  • lithezebra
    Options
    Hmmm. MFP is suggesting a daily intake of over 100g of protein for me; that seems like a lot so maybe I have it set too high?

That doesn't seem unreasonable if you're trying to increase muscle mass. I aim for 100 to 120 grams a day, and hope to average 100, given that I don't always hit 100. Also, diabetes runs in my family, and I'm trying to keep my carbs to a moderate level. Thus I must eat more protein.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    You could eat more dairy maybe if you want to avoid more carbs and increase protein.

I normally stick to 50/25/25 which works best for me, but I can't eat much dairy. But that is an option and you should have no problem reaching your desired macros with that
  • lithezebra
    Options
    I love dairy, but it is fairly high in carbs, from lactose. That's the beauty of protein powder for a vegetarian. But then you have to figure out how to eat protein powder and enjoy it, unless you truly only eat for sustenance.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    dairy and eggs.
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm a raw vegan and my macros are set pretty close to that (mine are 45 carbs, 30 fat, 25 protein). I do NOT eat soy or dairy and still manage to get at least 80 -100 grams of protein a day. Besides fruits and veggies, I eat a lot of hemp protein and protein powder, nuts, seeds, sprouted buckwheat, sprouted beans, sprouted quinoa, raw oats. My diary is open (yesterday and today are a disaster! but I generally eat very well and lots of food!)
  • Pudding1980
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do eat quite a bit of dairy: cheese, milk/almond milk pretty much daily, yogurt too.

I will try to focus on it a bit next week and see how it goes.