Trying again

Options
I lost 70lbs after a year of using the Xbox 360 Kinect, and I even started a blog about it. I had gotten rid of my type 2 diabetes and my high blood pressure, and wrote a few articles about that as well. Then quit my job and lost my dogs. I gained 50 of it back due to the depression and stress and all but ignored the blog.

I decided to become a WAHM after quitting my job, and so I started writing. Unfortunately, all I did was sit and write, so it was easy to gain that 50lbs back. I'm surprised I didn't gain all of it back! My blood pressure went back up, and I became borderline diabetic yet again.

Then the depression took a turn for the worse, and I didn't even feel like writing anymore. I ignored all of my blogs, and wallowed in a bit of self pity. "How could I have lost all that weight and then let myself gain it all back?" I would think to myself. And of course that would make me feel even worse and a vicious cycle ensued.

Then about a month ago, I got PO'd at myself and had this conversation in my head "You did it once. You can't just give up. You need to suck it up, get back to writing, make this WAHM thing work, and get back into shape."

So here I am. I've been working out a minimum of 4 days a week with the Kinect, and I've already lost 15lbs. I feel better. I'm writing more. I'm even blogging about it. I joined MFP to keep myself motivated and to find other like-minded people to talk to and share with.

And that's a bit about me. :bigsmile:

Replies

• barbergirl28
    barbergirl28 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Way to go. I totally feel your pain. I just went through a huge bout of depression and anxiety. At first, I was put on medication and it did make a difference, but it seemed that after the 6 months, all of a sudden I pounded up. I gained so much weight in such a short amount of time I could actually feel it tearing my skin. I'm back at it again, and let me tell you, it isn't easy to keep up with the motivation. But there are people that will keep you on track. You just need to ask for that extra push! :)
  • curlygirly73
    curlygirly73 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Way to go getting back at taking better care of yourself. You are off to an amazing start losing 15 lbs. already!!! WTG!!!

I am a mom as well with two young children and they have always come first. Now that my oldest is in school, I'm finally turning a corner in my life where I've decided its time to start taking better care of myself. I turn the big 4-0 in a few months and realized I have wasted close to decade being overweight :O So I'm exercising about 4 days a week now as well as logging my food each day. Its not coming off as fast as I would like but at least the scale is moving down in numbers.
    I will add you on as a friend and feel free to add me on if you like :)
  • pawlla
    pawlla Posts: 1
    Options
    You are inspiring me!! I've been on this crazy journey so many times. I had gastric bypass in 2007, lost 140 lbs and just 30 lbs from my goal, I found out my husband was seeing someone and I totally lost it. I went into a deep depression and was put on Seroquel. Now my doctor told me, this medicine may make you gain weight....now why would you give someone who has lost 140 lbs and still losing, medication that may cause weight gain? So anyway, I went on the medication and gained 65lbs in 2 months, my doctor said, maybe we should try something else...you think? But by then, I didn't care, I was so depressed and not worried about how I looked, so here I am 5 1/2 years later and 50 lbs smaller than when I had my surgery. My son, who is 17, was diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease, he's 6' and weighed 358 lbs. His doctor said she wanted to see him lose 100 lbs in 6 months, he has lost 57 lbs on his own and we are now going through a hospital program, very low carbs, 20g daily. I am on this journey with him. I've got to get this weight off, I just can't take it anymore. So here I am...trying again! I need all of the inspiration, advice, cheering, yelling I can get! LOL One of my problems is that I have Fibromyalgia which makes exercising VERY difficult, I am in so much pain. I take medication for it but the pain is still there, some days it hurts to take a shower, it hurts to have clothes on, it just hurts, so exercising, although I need it, isn't really at the top of my list. Hmm, exercise or GREAT pain....sorry but some days I just can't do it. Oh I forgot to mention that I had an endoscopy done to check my stomach and my doctor said my stomach is still the size of a golf ball, but the stoma is 3-5 times bigger than what it should be. He said my metabolism is at a virtual halt and it's gonna be 3x harder to lose the weight now, than if I hadn't had the surgery. I'll lose 7 lbs one week and the next week gain 5...doing the exact same thing. I change it up sometimes and it's always the same, I lose one week, gain the next. So frustrating. So that's my story, hoping to get on track and get it done.
  • DaughterofMaat
    DaughterofMaat Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    @barbergirl I have to say motivation is tough. In fact, I was going to skip my workout today, I just didn't feel like doing it. But then I got a message from someone on here, (a new friend) and decided I need to get off my fat *kitten* and workout. lol Motivation came just when I needed it!
  • DaughterofMaat
    Options
    @curlygirl Isn't it funny, it takes what seems like seconds to put the weight on, but it takes FOREVER to get it off. I know how you feel too, I honestly don't know why I lost that 15lbs so quickly (don't really care either lol), but I can tell you it's slowed down considerably now. The scale hasn't budged since my last weigh in. I have to keep reminding myself that muscle weighs more than fat, and I'm probably at that point where I'm burning fat, but I'm also adding muscle at the same time. And until I start burning more fat, than I'm adding muscle, the scale will start to go down again. It happened to me last time too, but I don't mind it too much because the muscle looks good :bigsmile:
  • DaughterofMaat
    Options
    @pawlla wow, your husband is an *kitten*, and the doctor that put you on Seroquel is an idiot.

But anywho, the weight loss battle isn't really a battle, it's more of a permanent war. You do have more obstacles to overcome than I do, but we share one thing in common. Chronic pain.

I have osteoarthritis, and a neck injury from a car accident years ago that left me with almost daily migraines. My neck hurts constantly, my muscles always ache. Sometimes the aching is so bad it feels like it's coming from my bones (and it is lol). Although it's not fibromyalgia, which is MUCH more painful, the pain does make it difficult to stay motivated and some days the pain is so bad I just don't want to get out of bed much less workout. It gets really bad when it rains.

But, I've been pushing through that pain. In my case, exercise actually helps with the osteoarthritis so that makes it a little easier for me to want to grin and bear it. But that's not the case with you. I'm going to add you as a buddy, I think we both need the extra motivation! :wink:
  • AZDewd223
    AZDewd223 Posts: 21
    Options
    Excellent! Lots of people behind you here!