Spaghetti Squash

Options
Megs081211
Megs081211 Posts: 150
I bought a spaghetti squash today, to use as a replacement in my pastas (I've been having some digestive issues so I'm trying to narrow them down). What is the best way to cook it?

Replies

• melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    Here's How:
    1.Cut the spaghetti squash lengthwise (you can remove the stem first, but don't cut through the ends.)
    2.Scrape out the seeds and fibers using a large spoon. Again, be careful not to break through the ends.
    3.Take one of the halves and put it cut-side-up in a close-fitting microwave dish (such as an oval casserole.) You want it to be as stable and as level as possible. If it isn't, cut a very thin strip of skin from the bottom.
    4.Pour 1/2 cup water into the hollow of the squash itself (not into the dish), then place the other half on top cut-side-down.
    5.Carefully place it in the microwave and cook on full power. A small squash (under 1 1/2 lbs) will take about 10 minutes to cook.
    6.To test for doneness, just squeeze the top half gently (wear an oven mitt for this!) If it's flexible, it's likely to be done. Carefully remove the top half to see if the flesh has turned a rich, semi-translucent yellow (as opposed to opaque yellow-white)
    7.Drain any remaining water (there may not be any) and pull out the strands with a fork. Toss with butter (and Parmesan!) or your favorite sauce. For a fun and healthy change of pace, add it to an Asian soup in place of noodles.
  • alecialudwickjones
    Options
    I cut top to bottom and lay them cut side down on a greased baking sheet and bake @350 for around an hour.
  • gmni616
    gmni616 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just made one for lunch today! YUM.
    cut lengthwise, spoon out the seeds & guts.
    place face down in a pan with a little water on the bottom of the pan (enough just to cover the entire bottom of the pan).
    cook on 350 for about 45-60 minutes
    remove, let sit for about 5-10 mins in pan with water still in it
    Then take a fork and rake it across inside it will come out in strings.
    Delicious!
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Pierce it in a couple spots with a knife and stick it in the microwave for 12 minutes for a large one. Let it rest then split and pull out the meat.
  • wtfusernameisnttaken
    Options
    I do it quickie in the microwave. Stab it all over to vent, and put in microwave safe bowl. nuke on high 6 minutes, flip over and nuke another 6 minutes. Cut in half length wise and let it cool a bit so you can handle it.... then scoop out the seeds with a fork and fork fluff the squash toss the rind.

I will make this, and then pan cook a chicken breast with a little garam masala (sp?) sprinkled on the chicken and use coconut oil to cook it.... Put the chicken over a cup of squash and pour some (bertolli vodka sauce is yum) sauce over them both. It's fabulous.
  • Kxgz
    Kxgz Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I put it in the oven at 375 whole. Just poke holes with fork and cook for about am hour. Once done I cut in half, removed seeds and guts and then scooped out squash and sautéed in olive oil, salt and pepper, maybe a little garlic. It's really good.
  • iWillGetCrowSomeday
    iWillGetCrowSomeday Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you're one of the heavy lifters here, you can cut that sucker in half without cooking it a little first. Still a pain in the butt!

So if you want to make your life a little easier, check out this link below. It'll show you how to cook it so you don't break your awesome knife set and lose a hand in the process, and it's got a few recipes too.

http://www.marthastewart.com/275670/spaghetti-squash-recipes/@center/276955/seasonal-produce-recipe-guide#873249
  • Querian
    Querian Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I cut in half, remove seeds, then microwave each half cut side down on a plate maybe 5 minutes. Then scrape the flesh out with a fork and saute in a little oil or butter (I use earth balance) for 5-10 more minutes. Then season with salt and pepper and top with romano or parmesan cheese and toasted pine nuts and serve. It's super yummy! I have tried replacing pasta in different dishes with this and it's good but not as good as this go to recipe! Have it with a green salad and it is a great dinner!
  • trentwiggly
    trentwiggly Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    This is my fav and not just because they call the seeds "squash poop". :)

http://low-cholesterol.food.com/recipe/properly-prepared-spaghetti-squash-162765

Ingredients
    1 spaghetti squash
    1 head garlic
    salt
    pepper
    olive oil

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350-375.
    Halve raw spaghetti squash with a sturdy sharp knife, scoop out, and discard the squash poop with a spoon.
    Place halves onto an oven safe cooking dish face up.
    Clean head of garlic and thinly slice garlic, (the larger pieces of garlic brown nicely, and offer a wonderful layer of complexity to the dish). Spread garlic into the bowl like shape of the squash, salt and pepper vigorously, drizzle with a 50/50 mixture of olive oil, and vegetable oil (get the oil everywhere inside the squash).
    Place onto the upper middle rack of the oven for about 30-40 minutes. (You will know it is ready when the squash separates with little resistance from the skin).
    Remove from oven, and place in coldest location possible for at least 20 minutes, before separating from skin.
    Use a fork to scoop and separate squash strands, add any other ingredients you like at this point.
    Parmesan, Romano, or Pecorino, Feta, are all excellent additions to this dish, as well as, meat, sausage, veggies, olives, the list is endless.
    WARNING **** If you use a loose tomato based sauce DO NOT add it immediately to the squash; this makes the squash runny, mushy, and unpalatable. Instead garnish the dish with a little bit of sauce atop the squash, and then offer more sauce on the side, in a separate dish. If you ever had it served this way you know what I mean.
    You can also take any leftovers and add a little bit of flour, and make into patties and fry.
  • epfenick
    epfenick Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bum