Best exercise for glutes and abs?

Options
What can I do to tighten and lift my white girl *kitten* and tone my abs? And please don't say squats! Every time I do squats I only feel in my thights, and I have had people watch me do squats to see that I am doing them right. I also never, ever see much change in my abs. I can get them somewhat tighter with crunches and variations of those but I can never seem to lose the layer of fat.

Thanks in advance for any response. And please don't tell me I'm at a good weight, don't need to lose, or any variation of that. I am really just trying to change the look of my shape, as well as get stronger. I have a really short torso which just never seemed to recover after 2 babies in 14 months on top of really long legs and no *kitten* at all.

Thanks again :)

Replies

• Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    Deadlift.
  • violettatx
    violettatx Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts, deadlifts (both regular and Romanian), planks, side planks, glute bridges. Also, Bulgarian split sqauts and one-legged RDL.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen. Eat clean and lean !!!
  • alliebeth88
    alliebeth88 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    prone jackknife on the Swiss/stability ball. Owwww....
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    squats & deadlifts.
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I should add that I can't get to a gym (kids, work, and no $$$) so I can't do anything with a weight machine or barbell, etc. I have a treadmill and some small weights and a pilates mat.

I should also say that whatever exercise I have tried for my glutes I NEVER FEEL IN MY GLUTES. Anything that will actually make my *kitten* burn is what I need.

Thanks for the advice about eating clean. I am cutting out all alcohol for a month to see if that does anything, otherwise I would say I eat about 90% clean.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Single leg stability ball hamstring curls.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Well, yeah, if you do squats without weights you probably won't really feel them in your butt.

I agree, try one legged.

I would HIGHLY advise getting a pair of heavy dumbbells. You can do a lot with them. Hack squats, walking lunges, deadlifts, swings, snatch, etc.. All which work the badonkadonk.
  • h9dlb
    h9dlb Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    squats and deadlifts. If you cant feel your stomach muscles doing squats, the weight isnt heavy enough. Also bar bells are cheap to buy. Alternatively get some kettlebells
  • jupityjupe
    jupityjupe Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    OK, thanks for the advice, I guess I need to buy some weights I can keep here in my living room :)