Hi New Here

Options
Hello. My name is Tina. I have been married for 17 years. I have 2 great children, ages 14 and 11. I joined this group yesterday. I have been overweight for many years. I have to do something to lose weight. I am diabetic and need double knee replacements. I am only 40 years old and I am to young so they won't do it right now. I was told by my doctor that if I don't lose weight then I will be bedfast in 5 years. It is hard to do alot of exercise, but I am determined to do something. I am looking forward to meeting you and will be here to encourage you as we all go through this struggle together.

Thanks
Tina

Replies

• seawillow7
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step!!! I am a recent member as well and so far I have found this to be a fabulous website...full of encouraging words and motivation. Looks like there are a LOT of success stories at MFP! I had knee surgery last year and the best exercise is water excercise if you have access to a pool. Even walking on a regular basis was hard for me because of the impact on my knee so I found that water excercise and bike riding were two of the best ways to get in some activity without causing undue strain on my knee. Best of luck to you, Tina!!!
  • terrys_girl
    Options
    I am pleased to meet you. I hope you find enjoyment and success on this site. I just joined yesterday and I love it. I am 35 and a mother and grandmother too, and it is for them that I do this. I am 5"3" and weigh 265lbs. My back hurt so much I can't hardly pick up my littlest grandson (he's 16 mths old). I know it's the weight, so I understand your struggle. Keep the faith and believe and we can do this!!!!!:smile:
  • driscollmc
    Options
    Hi Tina!

Although I'm a lot younger than you (I'm 19), I'm in a similar position. I've had knee and joint pain for about 3 years now, and I don't want it to turn into a situation where I would need surgery (which almost happened a year ago). Plus, I can definitely appreciate you doing it as a mom. My mom is losing weight right now so she can be there to watch my kids, if any, grow up as long as possible. Just always remember that there's nothing you can't do if you set your mind to it!!

-Marissa
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP, Tina! I've had knee surgery my self. Good luck to you on your journey!
  • SandraMay1982
    Options
    Welcome! It's wonderful to see so many new people joining this place all the time and seeing so many people do well. It's motivation in itself to keep going!

Make lots of friends on here so they can help you day to day on your own status updates and drink lots of water! You will do great!
  • bravestwarrior
    Options
    Thank you all for the encouraging words. I believe that with you all as my friends/encourages and God's help I can do this. I have never really felt to motivated, but I think hearing the words bedfast gave me some motivation. I am 40 years old and weigh 300 lbs. I have lost 50 pounds in the past before, but eventually gained it all back.

I do go to physical therapy right now for my knees and I am doing water therapy. That gives me 45 minutes of exercise twice a week. My exercise at home is not as intense b/c I hurt so badly it is hard to keep going for very long. I started out Sunday and did 5 minutes, then Monday I had physical therapy, then Today I did 7 minutes. I am just trying to do a little at a time. It is more than I have done in a long time.:smile:
  • tubz23
    tubz23 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Tina,
    I joined yesterday too! WE CAN DO IT! I am trying to lose 100 pounds in a year, lets do it together. Exercise does not come easy for me either but I don't want to die early either. If you have recipes I would love to trade! Good Luck on this journey!
    Paddy
  • kekehunee
    kekehunee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Welcome and keep up the good work! We all have to start some where.....and what better place than here!!! :)
  • NoelleLou
    Options
    This website will change your life if you give it a few weeks. I have over 100 lbs to lose & I KNOW I can do it. The encouragement, support & friendship I get from this site has definitly made a HUGE differnce in this journey for me. And you really NEVER Know how many calories u are actually eating.. At least I didnt & was shocked to see it was over 3,000 a day. We can do this together! U are not alone. It may never be easy. But nothing worthwhile ever is. GOod luck! Cant wait to share this journey with you