Oatmeal recommendations

Options
I'm not very much a cereal person however, whenever i do eat cereal it is usually something like weetabix or ready brek, i have been reading a lot lately about the benefits of oatmeal and its high fibre content, also it seems to be more natural without all the process other cereal goes through.

Just wondering if anyone could recommend a good brand perhaps or does it matter, i was looking at some in the supermarket and a lot of it says instant oatmeal in minutes and i am a bit weary to try this.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Any old plain oats will do. Most people like regular quick oats or steel cut oats. Buy them plain and dress them up yourself.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Any old plain oats will do. Most people like regular quick oats or steel cut oats. Buy them plain and dress them up yourself.

this. you can make them with vanilla soy/almond milk, regular milk, brown sugar, fruit, etc. i especially like to put brown sugar and a banana in, and then microwave...when the bananas warm up it tastes like banana bread.
  • Irene514
    Irene514 Posts: 62
    Options
    I get the Quaker large flake oats, they are not instant nor quick, just regular rolled oats.

Oh and by the way, if you plan on eating oatmeal regularly, this website will become your best friend: http://theoatmealartist.blogspot.co.uk/p/recipe-index.html
  • Monny287
    Monny287 Posts: 109
    Options

this. you can make them with vanilla soy/almond milk, regular milk, brown sugar, fruit, etc. i especially like to put brown sugar and a banana in, and then microwave...when the bananas warm up it tastes like banana bread.

I am SO trying that tomorrow.

I use my grocery store's brand of rolled oats and it tastes great. Oatmeal is a bit more time-consuming than pouring a bowl of cereal (it takes about 10 minutes total for rolled oats), but much more delicious, in my opinion. I usually eat mine with a little bit of brown sugar or pure maple syrup. Yum!
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options

oh will check this out! :)
    thanks guys for the replied, bought a regular pack of plain oats today as well as some almond milk for some variety some days, so going to whip it up tomorrow :)
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    One of the best foods out there for so many reasons. A very slow burning carb. It fills you up like nobody's business. I have a bowl every day. Because it is slow burning, don't eat it late in the day. Early to mid-morning is best.

Any kind is fine except for the instant oats with all the processed crap in it. I mean those are better than nothing. But not much. I use quick rolled, but really any kind will do based on your own preference.