Resting heart rate and weigt loss

Options
I have a pretty high resting heart rate and I actually take a beta/alpha blocker to slow it down a bit since I was also experiencing palpitations. I'm about 50 lbs over weight still but I've already lost 23 lbs. I'm walking and doing some aerobics. Is this enough to help lower my resting heart rate? Is it more the fitness or will just substantial weight loss also lower the heart rate. I really want to get healthy and want to understand how weight loss/ exercise can lower the high heart rate. The coolest thing is that just in a month of exercising 3-4 days a week I can already feel my breathlessness and recovery getting better and better!

Thanks!

Replies

• moustache_flavored_lube
    Options
    Both will have an impact on RHR. Fitness will have more of an impact than weight loss.

It is all about progression you need to be constantly challenging yourself. Walking / some aerobics may be enough to stimulate fitness improvements right now. In a couple of months you will probably need to move onto something more challenging

I lowered my RHR from mid 90s to high 50s
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Both will have an impact on RHR. Fitness will have more of an impact than weight loss.

It is all about progression you need to be constantly challenging yourself. Walking / some aerobics may be enough to stimulate fitness improvements right now. In a couple of months you will probably need to move onto something more challenging

This is excellent news! I have a RHR in the high 90s, and have been hoping getting in shape will lower it.
  • BreezySunshine22
    BreezySunshine22 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    yeah, mine stays in the 80's and 90's even with meds. It's been fast my entire life. I've had EKG and it's a good rhythm.... just fast. Really hoping to get it down to the 70's!
  • ambiedawnz
    ambiedawnz Posts: 108 Member
    Options

I also have a very high rhr, in the 90's. It's been that way even when I was younger in high school and decently fit. I really really want to lower it. How long did it take you to lower yours that much??
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options

Great post! My RHR has gone from 84 (consistently) to anywhere from low 50s to low 60s, with an average probably around 62. Mostly improved from my running I think.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,215 Member
    Options
    The biggest drop that I've seen in my RHR has been due to regular HIIT cardio sessions (35 minutes on the elliptical) over the last 4 months. My blood pressure is down too!
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    The more cardio you do the more it will help.

My RHR is anywhere between 45-55 & I'm 211lbs. It can be lowered. Good luck!
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Mine has jumped up so much lately. If I don't do all the right things I have to be back on the meds and it isn't just to do with weight since I've only gained a tiny bit back. Worried!
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    I loooooove the fact that my RHR is right around 50. If I focus on relaxing, I can get in the 40's. I believe cardio will help, a lot.
  • Hexahedra
    Hexahedra Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 3 days of traditional cardio (C25K) and 3 days of HIIT a week for the past three months, and my resting heart rate has decreased from the 70's to low 50's.