Heart Rate Monitior....HELP!!

Options
Krys_T
Krys_T Posts: 1,406 Member
I need a good heart rate monitor...Something that counts calories and measures heart rate! For those of you that have one...where did you get it and how much did it cost?

Replies

• alphasigalum
    Options
    I have a polar f6, I got it off amazon and it cost about $100. It was a wonderful investment, it counts calories and measures HR! You should check it out
  • frankbo25
    frankbo25 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    none of them are 100 percent accurate, but they help a ton. I bought the sportline one from Walmart for $27 i like it, but it gets annoying having to constantly check my heartrate during workouts but I make it work. I may puchase one with a chest strap to avoid this problem.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I bought a Polar F6 about a year and a half ago at Canadian Tire and it was about 129.99 i think. I LOVE it. Make sure you get one with the test strap when you do purchase one.
  • JBennis1013
    JBennis1013 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Polar F6 on amazon for like $83. I love it!!
  • mara16bryan
    Options
    I have the RS300X (watch and chest strap) I bought off of Amazon for about $140. Here is the link from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Polar-RS300X-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B001W93YDS/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1281495721&sr=8-7

I love it and wear it ALL the time while working out.
  • dragonfly_beach
    dragonfly_beach Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I use Polar heart rate monitors mainly because they work with the cardio equipment at my gym. My only problem has been when someone walks by me and my monitor picks up their heart rate. I'm not sure if that's because I'm using an older model (5+ yrs old). I recommend going to their website (polarusa dot com) and seeing what they have and what suits your needs and then you can price shop.

My husband loves his Garmin which has all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, I think he spent $400 for it...then again, it has GPS. :-)

Good luck!!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I have a Polar F4. Its similar to the F6 though has a few less features. It does record calories burnt, avg HR and max HR for the session and gives a readout of HR during the session. You can also set target HR limits (upper and lower). I got it as a gift but think it was around AUD$150 18 months ago.

I'd recommend purchasing a well known brand like Polar, Suunto or Garmin. Also, the ones with a chest strap for HR are generally more accurate than the ones that that rely on taking the pulse at the wrist.
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    I use Polar heart rate monitors mainly because they work with the cardio equipment at my gym. My only problem has been when someone walks by me and my monitor picks up their heart rate. I'm not sure if that's because I'm using an older model (5+ yrs old). I recommend going to their website (polarusa dot com) and seeing what they have and what suits your needs and then you can price shop.

My husband loves his Garmin which has all the bells and whistles. Unfortunately, I think he spent $400 for it...then again, it has GPS. :-)

Good luck!!

It's most likely the age of yours. The majority of the Polar HR monitors now come with a chest strap which sends a coded signal to the watch to avoid this.
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    I am waiting for mine! I got the polar f7 and paid about $70 off ebay.
  • catherine167
    Options
    I got a Mio off of amazon for $35. I hate the chest straps, they're okay for weight lifting and such, but during classes like zumba where I was really active the strap never stayed in place. The watch you have you put your thumb and forefinger on it for a few seconds (about 3 seconds, I do it between songs) but it's worth it to me. Mine has worked great, considering it was so much cheaper than all the others!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    HI--about 6 weeks ago I bought a polar FT60 and am happy with it. It was about $170 on Amazon. It's so hard to figure out the right one to get--there are so many. I loved the garmin options but didn't need such a high tech or expensive one. I think the one I bought is easy to use, small enough, doesn't look too horrible on the wrist and has enough bells and whistles to keep me learning, but not too much to confuse me. The strap fits nicely. The HRM seems consistent.

Good luck in your search!
  • ErickaJos
    ErickaJos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased the Bowflex Fit Trainer 10S Heart Rate Monitor (strapless) - waiting for it in the mail. What are your thoughts on this one? I purchased mainly for the price $57 and it counted calories burned during a workout.