Sugars (natural vs crap)

Swoopette
Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
My sugars are high. Yes go look at my food intake. Yup there is coke in there and trust me I know how bad that is for the body and everything else that goes along with it. I will stop drinking it but for right now I am working on eating healthier and drinking lots of water. Then I will get the coke cut out.

But here is the question. I eat natural sugars (fruit and vegetables (plus my fruit juice for my smoothies are 100% juice no sugars added but of course there is natural sugars.) SO HOW do I know if my sugars are actually over when some of them are natural sugars. Please help me out here.

Also take a look at my food eating and let me know for the big 2 days so far what I could do better or what I am doing right. Besides my pop (coke)

Thanks so much and add me as a friend if you want.

Valanne

Replies

• jlizgar
    jlizgar Posts: 104
    Im pretty sure it doesnt really matter if its natural or "fake" sugars, you should still try to stay within your limits. Certainly you should try to get as many of your sugars from natural sources, and moderation is key.
  • jlizgar
    Also, I stopped drinking coke cold turkey...it was pretty hard for about the 1st week but after you get through that inital tough time, its not so bad. This is a total lifestyle change for me, not just about loosing weight, I want to be more healthy all around and for the rest of my life so I KNEW the soda would have to go! Acutally, its been one of the easiest changes so far! Getting to the gym everyday is much harder, making sure I stay within my daily calories is much harder, making sure I drink enough water daily is much harder...I dont even think about drinking coke anymore! Its all water or green tea or the occasional homemade sweet tea with REAL sugar :)
    Good luck! I think you will be surprised at how easy it is to cut out if you are serious about making a lifestyle change!
  • Swoopette
    Swoopette Posts: 118 Member
    I have tried before to cut out the coke and didnt last to long. I drink lots of water on top of it. Once I am set into the gym which I am now. Get up 3 times a week before work or on my days off (can spend more time there then) . Those arent a problem at all. It will be the coke. I am an assistant manager at Little Ceasers (pizza place) i have no problems resisting the pizza it is that stupid coke. But thanks for the help out.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Unless you are worried about diabetes, I would not worry about the sugar in fruits and veggies. Eat them fresh, eat them organic, eat them raw. Eat a lot more than you do now. Eat as much unprocessed foods as you can. You will get rid of your coke cravings automatically. You will start feeling so good!!

:flowerforyou: You are on a great journey to healthy eating. Good for you!!!:flowerforyou:

:heart: Rebel:heart:
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Unless you are worried about diabetes, I would not worry about the sugar in fruits and veggies. Eat them fresh, eat them organic, eat them raw. Eat a lot more than you do now. Eat as much unprocessed foods as you can. You will get rid of your coke cravings automatically. You will start feeling so good!!

:flowerforyou: You are on a great journey to healthy eating. Good for you!!!:flowerforyou:

:heart: Rebel:heart:

I like this post.

Make sure you get enough protein................

And make sure your eating more veggies than fruit!!! Treat fruit as a dessert.
  • rayach
    rayach Posts: 1 Member
    I am not sure if other people feel this way but part of the reason I drank coke was for the carbonation. I found that cutting the coke with soda helped me lose a taste for it. soon it became too sweet for me. I have not had coke in years and find that it is even hard to drink fruit juices as they are too sweet so I cut them with soda water. water is probably the best thing to drink but soda water is a nice second if you want to cut your sugars down slowly.

good luck with your fitness pal-ing everyone!!
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    I have been drinking Zevia soda which is made with Stevia. Tastes great and helps me keep my sugar intake under 15 grams a day
  • jlizgar
    I have tried before to cut out the coke and didnt last to long. I drink lots of water on top of it. Once I am set into the gym which I am now. Get up 3 times a week before work or on my days off (can spend more time there then) . Those arent a problem at all. It will be the coke. I am an assistant manager at Little Ceasers (pizza place) i have no problems resisting the pizza it is that stupid coke. But thanks for the help out.

I used to drink a LOT of coke, I drank way too much and I had tried a couple times in the past to cut it out and failed miserably, I think the longest I went was like 4 or 5 days in the past but I just told myself this time that I HAD to do it....I honestly dont know how I made up my mind and stuck to it this time, I just did. I feel much better since ive stopped drinking it, you can really tell a difference after about a full 7 day week, your cravings get less over time and before long, its not even a big deal....now, my sweet tea addiction is another story, BUT, I used to get my tea at McDonalds and drink a large every other day...since starting MFP I think ive only had maybe 2 McD's teas, I make it at home and feel a tad bit better about that but try not to drink too much, I was born and raised in the south and I love my tea, its really hard to completely give up.
  • I wouldn't worry about the sugar in the fruits. the less refined the sugar is, the better it is for you anyway. When you are ready, maybe work on the sugar. don't scare yourself so much. I'd be concentrating on kicking the *coke habit*(haha. makes you sound like a junkie, awesome. hahah).

I'm having honey in my tea and coffee as opposed to sugar or the fake crap,which tastes like mouldy backside. I think it's more important that I am making myself drink more than I used to, even if it is in tea. I am horrible with the water intake, and push myself most days to have 4 glasses.
  • TammyK777
    TammyK777 Posts: 230 Member
    I have been drinking Zevia soda which is made with Stevia. Tastes great and helps me keep my sugar intake under 15 grams a day

Interesting, never heard of this. Gonna have to try it out!
  • totalimageguy
    totalimageguy Posts: 62 Member
    [/quote] Interesting, never heard of this. Gonna have to try it out!
    [/quote]

You can find which stores sell it near you here:

http://www.zevia.com/
  • lculian
    lculian Posts: 313 Member
    My rule is if it came from nature I'm not too worried about it. When my sugar is high because of fruits and veges, I'm still proud of my day. I just try to stay away from added sugars, high fructose corn syrup etc. Some days, I still have a couple funsize candy bars:blushing: I still have cravings, and I still give in, like today.

I kicked the soda habit January 16th, I gave it up cold turkey, at first I replaced it with Vitamin Water and then Sparkling water (I had to add lemon juice to the sparkling water to help the taste), I went through 6 weeks of withdrawal symptoms, but I don't crave it at all and haven't for a long time:bigsmile:

Good luck!
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Interesting, never heard of this. Gonna have to try it out!
    [/quote]

You can find which stores sell it near you here:

http://www.zevia.com/
    [/quote]

I have bought it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's..............

Since drinking a bit of it, it is cheaper to buy on Amazon.com
This discussion has been closed.