New here... Have been getting more fit, but not a whole lot

Options
Hi there everyone, I thought i would make a quick post to introduce myself: I am a 39 year old stay at home mom to 2 young boys, one of whom is on the autism spectrum (high functioning). They have kept me plenty busy over the past 5 years but i wasnt really staying FIT.

This past winter i reconnected with the sister of a childhood friend of mine and we started walking together. Yes, in winter. Outside. After dark. In upstate New York. (!) Well, that was one of the best things i ever did because she is a bundle of energy and she keeps me motivated and laughing the whole time. We are training to walk a half-marathon this fall and I also recently started hiking some Adirondack High Peaks with her. Its been amazing. Hard work and long (10+ hour) days but i really feel my body and mind responding.

I'm also a novice organic gardener, so have been eating my fill (and thensome) of fresh veggies lately. I dont eat seafood and only eat meat maybe 2 times a week (so tracking my protein intake will be helpful!). My biggest dietary downfall is that i am a snacker and i really truly love sweets.

I have lost about 20 pounds since December '09 but i really havent been pushing the diet to lose weight this time around. I have just been increasing the exercise (from basically nothing to several times a week). When i started on my fitness journey, i was in it to FEEL better. To have increased endurance. To have a little de-stressing time without the hubby or kids. To recharge and heck, maybe even drop a few pounds.

I have about 35 more pounds to lose at this point....

ok, so this wasn't a QUICK intro ;)

glad to have found you all..............

Adkwatergal

Replies

• AmandaJ
    AmandaJ Posts: 1,950 Member
    Options
    Hi, your post reminded me of me. I have three kids, the youngest is has Rett Syndrome and is very disabled. I am a 35 year old SAHM but work 6 hours on Monday. I walked with my best friend every morning at 5 am for an hour and we have been trying to do 5ks. Not as ambitious as you but working on it.

Welcome to MFP!! :flowerforyou: Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. :smile:
  • jessudd
    jessudd Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! :happy: