Disgusting roaches in the park ruined my walk route!!

Ok, I'm terrified of bugs, I'm not gonna lie. But tonight on my walk I had to pick up my little dog and run through my usual route because there were soo many filthy, huge roaches crisscrossing the path in front of me that they were actually running into my feet!! I'm so pixxed right now....and hating the desert more than ever. To any of you that live somewhere normal, this probably sounds unfathomable but believe me it was like dodging bullets in a video game. What am I gonna do now for exercise? Until I have my back surgery (soon) all I can do is walk.

Replies

• siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Sounds like an excuse to me. there's no other place to walk near you?
  • UnwrappingCandy
    UnwrappingCandy Posts: 418 Member
    Grace, maybe do some walking or jogging in place inside your house or some other exercise you can safely do inside. :flowerforyou:
    Sounds like an excuse to me. there's no other place to walk near you?

You sound rude to me. Let's make you walk through some of whatever you're terrified of and see what kinds of excuses you come up with.
  • gracekelli
    gracekelli Posts: 26 Member
    see you next tuesday. find someone smarter than you to translate.
  • gracekelli
    Yeah....inside exercise for a while....besides in will be 110+ for several months. Sometimes I close the door to my office at work and do jumping jacks!!
  • ssdivot
    ssdivot Posts: 193
    ...crosses Chandler Arizona off list of possible retirement locations.
  • gracekelli
    LOL
  • MrsMohawk
    MrsMohawk Posts: 74 Member
    Omg ... I'd freak out too! Now I'm so happy I live in Mn. we might get tons of snow . see a snake in the woods but never roaches in the outdoors. Only roaches in the city where dirty ppl live.. lol Misquotes, June bugs and bees I can live with but not roaches ... ewwww

I've come across some cows that got out of the pasture at one of the trails around here.. I'd much rather deal with 3 cows.. LOL
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    huge roaches crisscrossing the path in front of me that they were actually running into my feet!!

Hey, you just discovered a way to get your HIIT workouts in. Go the same route again. When you see the roaches, do a HIIT workout. Everytime you see a roach, HIIT it! LOL!
    Make the roaches your motivator!
    ;)
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    see you next tuesday. find someone smarter than you to translate.

Looool! Hehe. But how scary and ewwwwwww.

Ok what about something off fitnessblender, loads of great cardio workouts!
  • I get how grossed out you must have been. I have a friend who is seriously squigged out by frogs, and sometimes if we walk at night, you can't see them until you step on one. Can you go at a different time when the roaches aren't out?
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    If you don't want to do HIIT, jog really fast or run away from the roaches every time they come near you.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Is this just a strange phenomanom)sp), or does it happen all summer? I remember taking my kids camping in the mountains of GA one summer. We went to take our showers (park was immaculate!) and there were 5 foot long wood spiders all over the walls ( OK, they were 5 INCHES but for me they might as well have been feet!) :wink:

We had to shower to get the food smell off of our bodies, because bears were scarier than spiders:laugh: so somehow I managed to walk thru that door with 3 of the 6 kids, my friend took the boys to the other side.

Anyway........point is..............the next night they were gone.

Call the park and ask if this is a weirdo event, or will it continue!
  • gracekelli
    now I'm super jealous of you....you lost soo much weight AND you get to live there, it sounds heavenly.
  • gracekelli
    that's an excellent suggestion, I think I will call the city on Monday and see if they can spray again...or what the spraying schedule is.
  • gracekelli
    Great idea! I think I burned way more calories last night on my walk because I was pretty much running with my dog in my arms.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    yeah that's gross. i wouldnt go either . i frigging ate bugs, especially those free range kind like that :ohwell:

this is the main reason why i try to avoid nature!

good luck OP, i'd personally be tempted to buy a trampoline or infinity pool to put in my bug free backyard
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    I am by no means a fan of insects, but they have as much right to exist as you do. Spraying a park with pesticides seems incredibly wrong to me.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    I am by no means a fan of insects, but they have as much right to exist as you do. Spraying a park with pesticides seems incredibly wrong to me.

^This.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    I'm thinking next time you see roaches you should break out the jump rope and go to town.

It saves pesticides, so it's environmentally friendly, it still kills all those icky bugs, and you get some cardo.

This little fella doesn't approve though:

Unknown-2_zps8a1b35c4.jpeg
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    I'm from Mississippi so I know what you mean about HUGE roaches! We have pine roaches that go an easy 4 inches long, and since we had such a strange winter, they are extra plentiful this year!!

All I can suggest is finding a place with less foliage for the time being. And wear substantial shoes for cockroach killing! :sick: