Natural sleep helpers

Options
ZiezieO
ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
I just graduated college a few weeks ago. I've spent the last 5 years juggling a really hectic life of school, work and family.

Now that I'm all done and in the process of having a normal - less stressful - more time to breathe - life, I can't fall asleep at night.
I'm the kind of girl that my head touches the pillow and I'm out. Now I can't fall asleep for hours.

I know there are certain foods/teas/lotions that people like before bed because it calms them. I would love to hear any recommendations!

sincerely,
A tired girl

Replies

• newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Magnesium supplements (taken at bedtime with a small snack shortly before)
    Evening Primrose Oil
    Valerian Root
    Lavender
    Chamomile tea

Deep breathing (several times throughout the day)

Good luck. I did all of the above except Valerian Root & I don't like chamomile tea. The deep breathing & magnesium was the magical cure for me.
  • SarahSmilesCA
    SarahSmilesCA Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I take a "cocktail" every night of:

Trader Joe's Melatonin (for some reason it works better than any other)
    Vitamin Shoppe Standardize Valerian
    Natural Calm - a magnesium supplement taken in warm water

Works really well, especially after a couple of weeks...

Btw the key to sleep is going to bed at a reasonable time and turning off all light sources and relaxing...reduce anything that causes any type of distraction or mental stimulation...like being on this forum lol

There are apps that take you through breathing exercises that can really help you sleep as well...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    bananas
    chamomile tea
    thanksgiving dinner
    warm milk with honey
    warm bubble bath
    stretching
    sex
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    bananas
    chamomile tea
    thanksgiving dinner
    warm milk with honey
    warm bubble bath
    stretching
    sex

your life sounds fun.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    bananas
    chamomile tea
    thanksgiving dinner
    warm milk with honey
    warm bubble bath
    stretching
    sex

your life sounds fun.

ikr? thanks for reminding me. i was down today.
  • lexherrera
    lexherrera Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Chamomile, or really any warm drink, always gets me nice and relaxed. and I concur with the stretching! 5-10 mins of yoga before bed and I sleep like a baby.
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!

The thing that works best for me is exercise ( especially when I add in weights). I exercise early in the am on most days and usually have no trouble sleeping.

If something is troubling me and keeping me awake, I write iut down focus 10 minutes on it, and put it away, all Gone With the Wind style "I'll think about it in the morning"
  • nikilis
    Options
    on topic,

push ups before bed as many as you can.

make the room as dark as possible

don't watch the notebook and try to fall asleep, its hard to sleep whilst your crying.

no coffee late in the day.

no stimulants, not even a little bowl of meth before lights out.

exhaust your sexual energy.

make sure your room is room temperature. i.e not not room temperature. like not too hot or cold.

try to go to the bed at the same time ish, rise at the same time ish.

listen to relaxation tapes to knock you out.

try to name a fruit for every letter of the alphabet. probably you wont make it to z.
  • nikilis
    Options
    bananas
    chamomile tea
    thanksgiving dinner
    warm milk with honey
    warm bubble bath
    stretching
    sex

your life sounds fun.

ikr? thanks for reminding me. i was down today.

well girl, have a nice dinner, get in your bubble bath with your milk, honey and banana and have a good stretch out. ahhhh. life is good.
  • Horsezee
    Horsezee Posts: 22
    Options
    I use sleep hypnosis apps.
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    on topic,

push ups before bed as many as you can.

make the room as dark as possible

don't watch the notebook and try to fall asleep, its hard to sleep whilst your crying.

no coffee late in the day.

no stimulants, not even a little bowl of meth before lights out.

exhaust your sexual energy.

make sure your room is room temperature. i.e not not room temperature. like not too hot or cold.

try to go to the bed at the same time ish, rise at the same time ish.

listen to relaxation tapes to knock you out.

try to name a fruit for every letter of the alphabet. probably you wont make it to z.
    awe man not even a little bowl of meth...its medicinal I swear:wink:
  • bonelessskinless
    Options
    the movie called "my dinner with Andre"

works every time
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Television. If I go to bed and watch television, I'm guaranteed to drop off to sleep, don't know why. I've lost count of the number of times I've woken up briefly clicked the TV off with the remote and gone immediately back to sleep.
  • Jen800
    Jen800 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    This isn't a pill or anything, but you could try looking up "ASMR" on youtube.

You'll probably react with "WTF is this.." at first but it helps A LOT of people with insomnia/anxiety/stress to sleep and relax.
    Essentially it is just a person talking to a camera in a quiet voice or whisper. There are many facets of it, but that's the main point. It's pretty misunderstood by the rest of the world, but if you try not to react with "this is SO weird" at first you might find it changes your life :)
  • ZiezieO
    ZiezieO Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    LOVE the varieties.
    I'm not very good with pills, so I was looking for the more foods/teas and other fun ;) ideas.
    Thanks everyone!
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    Bump, to see the suggestions.

I have tried a few thing for my intermittent insomnia, but none of them seem to work well for me - valerian root, magnesium, melatonin.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Melatonin is a good one and it melts like a mint in your mouth.

Also I like to have a good workout at least 3 hours before bed.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Love the answers!

I occasionally use "Calms Forte' " a homeopathic by Hyland's. I discovered this while nursing my first son, I would wake up to nurse and not be able to fall back to sleep....and now use it for any time my brain tries to wake me up with "Lists"....you know? the to do lists that happen in the middle of the night, that apparently just can't wait until morning??

I also use calcium and magnesium together.....awesome to promote muscle relaxation after a good workout! I use dried tart cherry for any pain issues instead of an NSAID.

Lastly, my husband swears by GABA. He is more stress and anxiety prone than I am. It doesn't help me--but he gets relief from it!

As far as non-pill/supplement? Praying at night while in bed works for me too. lol. It puts me to sleep pretty much every time.