Beggining exercise for morbidly obese?

Options
I'm a 5'2" female whose currently 228lbs, which puts me at the low end of "morbid obesity".
I've been active before (9 miles a day cycling on hilly terrain) but it's been a couple of years, and I'm seriously out of shape.
I've already improved my diet and lost 16lbs, but want to start exercising with the hope I'll help prevent excess skin when I'm done.

So, for those of you who've lost 100+ pounds, what did you start with? Walking? Biking? Elliptical? Weights? (eep, no idea how to do that last one properly!)

Thanks!

Silvia

Replies

• MikeBrusiaHart
    Options
    hello there I watch the biggest loser usa as it has some great recipies and exercises for you to look at and the really big people they do shadow boxing it brings you out in a lot of sweat and is something you can do sitting down and it really helps with breathing tooands its not to hard to start off with and improves fitness levels a bit too
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Yes The Biggest Loser is great motivation. Also, the recumbent bike is a great place to start and then work up. Good luck on your journey.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Walking and what bodyweight exercises you can do.

Weights are a great option as well.
  • Clschuler
    Clschuler Posts: 11
    Options
    get a step counter and start walking, if you still enjoy biking that is a wonderful exercise I suggest a heart rate monitor.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Start slow and build upon it. Walking, biking, weight lifting, boxing etc are all good workouts to start with. Anything really. In the start, try and see how much you can do to the point of not passing out yet pushing yourself as much as possible. Build upon that. Do NOT overdo it but don't use that as an excuse to push yourself.

This was my at home workout routine before I took weight lifting. Good luck

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/taunto/view/at-home-workout-routine-265940
  • gogoboobzilla
    gogoboobzilla Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!