The Today Show

Options
I don't know if anyone saw this or not (I didn't but my mom did) . . . on The Today Show they talked about a book "Eat This, Not That". I guess it is pretty eye opening regarding the things that we eat. Sometimes we think that something is a heathly choice when in reality something else that we think is bad for us is actually the better choice. Now, since I didn't actually watch it, and am just going off of what I remember my mom telling me, it tells you how a bagel with cream cheese is actually more calories than 2 egg McMuffins from McD's. It is supposed to be a great guide to eating on the go. I am definitely getting this book, and just thought that I would share. You can read about it on Today's website at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22214193/

Replies

• hallusmc
    hallusmc Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone saw this or not (I didn't but my mom did) . . . on The Today Show they talked about a book "Eat This, Not That". I guess it is pretty eye opening regarding the things that we eat. Sometimes we think that something is a heathly choice when in reality something else that we think is bad for us is actually the better choice. Now, since I didn't actually watch it, and am just going off of what I remember my mom telling me, it tells you how a bagel with cream cheese is actually more calories than 2 egg McMuffins from McD's. It is supposed to be a great guide to eating on the go. I am definitely getting this book, and just thought that I would share. You can read about it on Today's website at:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22214193/
  • TexasAngelBeth
    TexasAngelBeth Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Thanks sounds like an interesting book, I will have to check that out
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    from what I saw while at the gym the book basically tells you that if you eat fast food that you should eat the mcdonalds fish sandwich instead of the burger king fish sandwich and instead of the chipotle steak burrito you should get the taco bell steak burrito it all relates to the quantity of food but not necessarily the quality of food. In other words, it still isn't healthy and there are better choices than a mcdonalds heart clogging breakfast sandwich.
  • rodeoruss
    Options
    i caught the segment, and the book it primarilly geared at fast fod type restraunts. it showed that you can still eat fast foods but how to make good choices between the differnt places. such as the chicken sandwitch and one place my big bigger in size than the other thus being the obviuos in total cals. Showing the portion size differnces. giving the visual difference so we can decide the best healthy choice. It seemed like a good book for people who are always on the go and eat out fast food often as part of their daily routine. From what I seen I would recommend it to those in that predictament. As some help in making good choices is always better than no help.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Love the hat rodeoruss,:bigsmile: I haven't eaten fast food in months and I don't miss it at all. I used to be a manager at a McDonald's ten years ago and all I ate was their food, but I ran so much for drive thru I didn't gain weight eating it.LOL Now I don't even glance at it while I drive by. I didn't catch the segment so thanks for the site hallusmc. I'll go check it out. :flowerforyou:
  • sschrock
    sschrock Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Love the hat rodeoruss,:bigsmile: I haven't eaten fast food in months and I don't miss it at all. I used to be a manager at a McDonald's ten years ago and all I ate was their food, but I ran so much for drive thru I didn't gain weight eating it.LOL Now I don't even glance at it while I drive by. I didn't catch the segment so thanks for the site hallusmc. I'll go check it out. :flowerforyou:

Me too! I was a Mickey D's manager for 10 years! That's probably where my cholesterol level starting going haywire!! LOL

I tell you where my biggest issue is.............I go eat at places and not do "research" first. For instance, we went to Long John Silver's today and I got the 2 piece fish basket, not the usual fish/chicken combo plate I usually get. So I'm thinking I did real good cutting back and all. Ha, Ha, Ha. I get home and go to the LJS website. Yikes!:noway: Let's just say I ate enough fat, carbs and sodium for a few day's worth!

I've really got to learn to plan ahead better. Know where I'm going to eat, what they offer, and the nutritional info for it.

Anyone else do this??
  • rodeoruss
    Options
    okay, as for the hat - it was my souvenir from my last mission trip to mexico back in October. After eating all that great food down there, being catered upon for 10 days, they kinda fatened me up for the slaughter so ta speak. I went there two years ago with our church puppet team and trained up a puppet team for them in thier church and to help with thier mission in the local poor villages. for more on that please check out my my space @ http://www.myspace.com/rodeo_russ. I wear it alot to help me stay focused on prayer for them. besides I dolike it alot too. Buy, anyway after comming home it hit me, that "ya, I have been getting kinda heavy as of late." 228 lbs then ( currently 210-) as of last week. Again thanks to this site allowing to see the numbers and being on a good diet plan. Prism with some of the ladies at the church. bless thm ladies for allowing me to join them in thier success.
  • kjllose
    kjllose Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Sschrock, I don't get to eat out very often but I do tend to plan ahead if I go out.

Roeoruss glad to see the ladies in the church took you under their wing. Good luck on the weight loss.
  • foreverhealthy3
    foreverhealthy3 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    there are many books on 'eat this not that' I also, believe, that there is a facebook page that is interesting
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    It's been 15 years... I would hope so :laugh: