woolly mammoth recipes

Options
feast4dabeast
feast4dabeast Posts: 96 Member
Following on from my previous thread where people said they would eat these - if they were available in modern times what would people have them with? I personally would not want to waste the flavour maybe even have them raw mmm

Replies

• mustang289
    mustang289 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I suppose whatever you do with it a nice peanut sauce would be appropriate for elephant species.
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, did you see that a frozen mammoth was found, with blood still in it. So cloning may be possible. You may get your wish in your lifetime. So plan away!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    butchered with middle palaeolithic stone tools and cooked on an open fire, which was lit using only middle palaeolithic technology of course. How else? :bigsmile:
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I would do mammoth slow cooked with onion, carrot and sage. If I was allowed New World food I would do some baked potatoes and rosemary.

I would treat mammoth like venison, I think.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I would do mammoth slow cooked with onion, carrot and sage. If I was allowed New World food I would do some baked potatoes and rosemary.

I would treat mammoth like venison, I think.

I think it would be a lot more like pig than venison, on account that elephants are related to pigs and also they would carry a lot of fat... and woolly mammoths moreso than modern elephants as they were adapted to an ice age climate. Venison is a very lean meat.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    A quick google suggests that dugong might be the best equivalent. Earth oven type of treatment. Hangi.
  • sailawaykate
    sailawaykate Posts: 126
    Options
    Two words: Mammoth bacon.