A silly guestion

Options
I have been trying to cut down on drinking iced tea. I have to use sugar substitute since I am diabetic so can I count that in my water consumption. I have cut the tea down for just meals. Since it is little more than flavored water I was wondering. I know some might think this a silly inquiry but cut a little slack, I am not fully awake yet.:yawn: Sorry, can you count sugar free iced tea in your daily water intake.

Replies

• MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    im not sure what your question is.
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can count it as part of your water.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I'm not quite sure what you are asking??
  • kcoftx
    kcoftx Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    You will get a lot of opinions here but the bottom line is it does hydrate you so you can count it if you want.
  • simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think you can count it as part of your water intake.
  • oldandhealthier
    oldandhealthier Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to cut down on drinking iced tea. I have to use sugar substitute since I am diabetic so can I count the tea in my water consumption. I have cut the tea down for just meals. Since it is little more than flavored water I was wondering. I know some might think this a silly inquiry but cut a little slack, I am not fully awake yet.:yawn: Sorry, can you count sugar free iced tea in your daily water intake.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Sure, why not, it's water.
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Iced tea may temporarily hydrate you, but it contains caffiene, which makes you pee, so no, I wouldn't count it as hydration.

Just like you, your cells need to bathe/shower in clean water.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    Shoot I see your ticker and I think you can ask any silly question u want lol! Congrats. Water yes. Unless the tea is doing something detrimental why change your consumption of it? Is it the sugar substitute you are trying to cut back on?
  • oldandhealthier
    Options
    Sorry folks I went back and read my guestion after I pried my eyes open a little further. Thanks for the quick answers and now I think I will go back to bed.
  • summersbest
    summersbest Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I was involved with two doctor supervied weight loss programs and both stated that any decaffinated drink counts towards daily water intake. ~
  • pittbullgirl
    pittbullgirl Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    When I drink an unsweetened Icetea, I count it as my water :) It helps me drink more!

Also, I love lemon, lime or cucumber in my water. Give it a try!
  • oldandhealthier
    Options
    Shoot I see your ticker and I think you can ask any silly question u want lol! Congrats. Water yes. Unless the tea is doing something detrimental why change your consumption of it? Is it the sugar substitute you are trying to cut back on?
    My son in law was visiting and went on and on about the sugar sub makes you eat more. I just thought better safe than sorry.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    No need to cut down on iced tea. Just keep drinking your tea with or without sweetener. .
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    theres no such thing as a silly guestion.
  • Kushy8
    Kushy8 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I would count it. I drink Crystal Light and I count that as my water.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Iced tea may temporarily hydrate you, but it contains caffiene, which makes you pee, so no, I wouldn't count it as hydration.

Sorry bro science again. This from the Mayo Clinic (and there are plenty of other scientific studies supporting this) -

"Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day."

Yes you can count it as water, and if you're worried about caffeine, tea is much lower in caffeine than coffee.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I think studies have shown that even drinks with caffeine (in moderation) won't dehydrate you to the point of not counting it. Hell, I count coffee towards my daily intake.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    From the Mayo Clinic (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661): "Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day."

Bottom line? Yes, your iced tea hydrates you.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,672 Member
    Options

Tea is not enough of a diuretic to counteract hydration properties.

Also, water in food alone is enough to maintain hydration for most people with sedentary or lightly active lifestyles.