How much exactly is "8 Glasses of Water"?

fitgirl4life
fitgirl4life Posts: 111 Member
edited September 21 in Food and Nutrition
New blog post, for anyone who is as obssessive about accurate measuring as I am! :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/fitgirl4life/view/measuring-accurately-some-call-it-anal-i-call-it-scientific-35582

Replies

• lonypony
    lonypony Posts: 130 Member
    I work on 250ml size glass with when you add up 8 glasses that would give you 2 litres of water. So I suppose if you are not familiar with mls and litres perhaps a smaller sized glass.
  • griffswoman
    griffswoman Posts: 30 Member
    I read an article last week that states you should drink half your body weight in water per day so if you are 200lbs you should drink 100oz of water which equates to 5 small coke bottles worth as each one holds 20 oz
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    This is interesting.....hmmmm makes sense though. I personally love water, I have noooooo problem getting my weight and some in on water.
  • Debs109
    Debs109 Posts: 1
    British Nutrition Foundation posted this http://www.nutrition.org.uk/nutritioninthenews/hydration/healthy-hydration-guide

1.2L enough for most people per day and almost all drink (except spirits and wine) count towards daily fluid intake.
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    I'm a water lover too. Pretty much drink it all day long.
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    its not 8 glasses. its 8 cups. 1 cup = 64 ounces. 8 cups is approximately 2 liters. get drinking!
  • Other than my morning cup of coffee, I only drink water; but, I'm usually not thirsty and have to force myself to drink. How do I get my 8 glasses?
  • Other than my morning cup of coffee, I only drink water; but, I'm usually not thirsty and have to force myself to drink. How do I get my 8 glasses?

Drink regardless of being thirsty. Get yourself a 20oz sports bottle and five rubber bands that will fit around the sports bottle. Put all five rubber bands around the bottle on the upper half. Each time you drink the entire 20oz, move one rubber band to the bottom half. Once all rubber bands are on the bottom half, you've had your 8 glasses.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    What goes out, must be put back in. Put a glass in the bathroom and drink a glass of water every time you visit. Unless you are a camel you will visit the bathroom at least once in the morning! After that it is just a matter of holding to the rule. You will get in your 8 glasses a day!

One thing that I did was find a glass that was special to me (NFL with my teams logo and my name) and use it only. Mine is 24oz insulated with a lid so I use a straw. I can stuff it with ice and take it with me anywhere I go, including the car. I have small dot magnets on my fridge right above the water/ice dispenser that I move from right to left for each time I fill my glass. Since my glass is 24oz, I know I need to fill my glass about 5 times to get my 100oz in for the day. It even sits on the headboard at night.

Happy Sloshing!
  • ThatGirl_1968
    ThatGirl_1968 Posts: 47 Member
    its not 8 glasses. its 8 cups. 1 cup = 64 ounces. 8 cups is approximately 2 liters. get drinking!

Need to do a quick math check here.....1 cup = 8oz. (not 64oz)......therefore 8 cups x 8oz/cup = 64oz which is approximately 2 liters :o).....otherwise that's a MIGHTY big cup!! :o)
  • Thanks for the great ideas MzBug and Stringcheeze!
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member

Need to do a quick math check here.....1 cup = 8oz. (not 64oz)......therefore 8 cups x 8oz/cup = 64oz which is approximately 2 liters :o).....otherwise that's a MIGHTY big cup!! :o)
    sorry, it was early. pt is, 8 cups = 2 liters :)
This discussion has been closed.