Rest days

Options
Should I have a rest day from exercise? Over the last week I've been to the gym 5 times and the other 2 days I've done some other exercise. My hamstrings are aching as I've been doing different (and more) exercise than before. I'm wondering if having a day's break from the gym (and maybe just doing some gardening / walking) would be a good thing?

Prior to the last couple of weeks I would go to the gym twice a week maximum!

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    yes! Your muscles need to relax a lil. good job!.
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. When I did wt training.... they always had you take a day off between sessions. Your muscles need that recovery time to grow and to rest..... I would suggest 3 days.... gym the two between just walk or something easy... then nothing 2 days a week..... that way working out is 5 days only.... best wishes . Mary:happy:
  • Natalie43
    Natalie43 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    i work out every other day and it works fine for me, fine enough to attempt a half marathon in 6 weeks time!
    i think If you dont take time to rest you're more likely to get injuries or even worse get bored/fed up with exercising.
  • StaceG1986
    StaceG1986 Posts: 350
    Options
    What everyone else, your muscles need to time to recover, or else you may risk injury then have to have more than one day off anyway! :flowerforyou:
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    You'll not only risk injury but burnout as well. I have had both happen because of working out too much.
  • reba24784
    reba24784 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    swimming might be a good choice since its low impact on your body. Also make sure you are drinking enough water
  • abricklin
    abricklin Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I used to work out 4 days a week but in the past few weeks its been more like 6. It varies daily. One day is 30 day shred ONLY. Another day is shred before work, upper body and some cardio (25 minutes) at the gym after work, another day, like yesterday, was just arms and cardio at the gym (1 mile run, cool down, 15 minutes weights, 20 minutes elliptical). Today is going to be 1 mile run, 20 minutes legs, 20 minutes elliptical, tomorrow will be shred in the morning and about 35 minutes cardio only. Friday will either be a day off or shred only. Saturday - 3.1 mile run and shred, or 3.1 mile run, arms and 15 minutes ellptical at the gym. Sunday is a day off since we will be out of town, but if I take friday off and don't shred saturday, it will be a shred day.

I go with the flow because each week is different and I feel different. I don't have a SET day off per se but I do take fridays easy because I go on my longest runs of the week (5k) saturday mornings.