How often do you weigh yourself?

I have found myself weighing myself almost every morning, mainly just out of curiousity I guess. I don't let the daily changes bother me, but I guess it may just help keep me accountable. I only log my weight once a week on Friday mornings, after taking my shower. I was just curious how often others check their weight, and do you see any reason to log your weight more than once a week? I don't JUST go by the pounds lost but how well I feel, how more comfortable my clothes are fitting, etc.

Replies

• stepgonz
    stepgonz Posts: 48 Member
    Once a week on a friday morning as soon as I wake up.
  • KaylaKilgore
    KaylaKilgore Posts: 160 Member
    I was doing mine on Friday but changed it to mondays for one of the groups I'm in but it's once a week.. I also get on every once in a while out of curiousity but it doesn't bother me.
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    once a week in the morning.........
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    I also weigh myself daily. I only track my weight on Monday.

I can't help weighing daily, the number, be it up or down, motivates me. I've lost and gained weight a few times and when I quit weighing, I start gaining. Recently, I was going between 2 weights for about 10 days. It caused me to look at my Intake and output and research and learn. I fixed the problem, and the scale is going down again. If I were only weighing once a week, it would have taken much longer to see the pattern.

I know the scale isn't the only measure of success, it's a tool that motivates me. I also track measurements, take photos, and compare how my clothing feels.
  • micheabr
    micheabr Posts: 72
    Every few weeks.
  • Annerk1
    Annerk1 Posts: 372 Member
    I weigh and track daily. I've been losing two pounds a week, so I love to see even another half pound gone as a result of my effort. That said, I don't get all wigged out when I gain a pound from the day before every now and then.
  • audra0831
    audra0831 Posts: 244
    I step on the scale every morning, but I only log my weight once a week, on Tuesdays. :)
  • ElBence
    ElBence Posts: 291 Member
    I weigh myself every day because it helps keep me motivated. Any time I have a loss from the previously recorded weight, I record it. That way, I'm motivated to work harder to make sure the scale doesn't start moving in the wrong direction.
  • carolemorden9
    carolemorden9 Posts: 284 Member
    I like to weigh myself a few times a day. I only record on Mondays now. I just like to see how the scale adjusts based on what I'm wearing and what time of day it is. Very interesting. I don't let it get me down either.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    I only weigh once a week, on Sunday morning. I will probably start weighing everyday once I get to maintenance.
  • choochoobell
    choochoobell Posts: 147 Member
    I weigh myself daily.
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    It makes me feel a little better knowing that I'm not the only daily weigher out there...lol!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,021 Member
    I weigh every day (when I am home and have my scale available) because I like to take note of daily changes so I have a better sense of my own pattern for water weight gain/loss, changes due to my cycle, etc. I only record my weight once a week or every other week.
  • dejp
    dejp Posts: 1
    Unable to at his time due to excess weight. Depend on clothing fit & others who don't know I'm dieting noticing. After labor day I'll do big weigh in!
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    I weigh myself every morning and log my weight on Sunday.
  • jellen613
    jellen613 Posts: 1
    I weigh myself daily, and that helps keep me accountable. I am in maintenance mode (more than a year now), so it's easy to let things slide. The daily weight helps me pick up on a pattern before it gets away from me. I don't get freaked out by fluctuations, but over the holidays I saw an increase, so I made adjustments.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    I weigh everyday but only log when I get a new low. This wouldn't work for some. I don't get hung up on it, I'm just curious how my body changes and reacts. Example, I had mexican last night, so lots of sodium. I would expect now to hold on to some water for a couple of days. My weight swings up and down as much as 5 pounds in a day on occasion. I think it is fascinating to pay attention to the daily variances.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Once a week.
    First thing in the AM.
    Naked.
    Before eating.
    After peeing.
  • Specialk0042
    Specialk0042 Posts: 3 Member
    I weigh-in daily using our Wii so it logs it for me. When I was on the first stages of weight-loss, and using eDiets, I would only weigh in once a week. Even though there are some pretty wacky fluctuations evident with daily weigh-ins, if I only look at the pattern of a weekly check-in it's pretty much the same--1-2lbs a week, even though there have been some days where I've stepped on 4.5lbs heavier than the day before and dropped 3 lbs another day. It all averages out. As someone mentioned, I'm more in "maintenance" mode now, so I do the deed daily.
  • 21sunshine85
    21sunshine85 Posts: 13 Member
    I weigh myself every second friday!
  • fknlardarse
    fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
    I also weigh myself daily. I only track my weight on Monday.

I can't help weighing daily, the number, be it up or down, motivates me. I've lost and gained weight a few times and when I quit weighing, I start gaining. Recently, I was going between 2 weights for about 10 days. It caused me to look at my Intake and output and research and learn. I fixed the problem, and the scale is going down again. If I were only weighing once a week, it would have taken much longer to see the pattern.

I know the scale isn't the only measure of success, it's a tool that motivates me. I also track measurements, take photos, and compare how my clothing feels.
    Definitely this! Totally agree
  • DancesWithDogz
    DancesWithDogz Posts: 107 Member
    I'm obsessive - I get on "daily" - track it "weekly" - the ups and downs motivate me... i can't say it does not bother me when I'm up...but it gives me a kick in the butt when I'm up... what peeves me off is if half way through the week i'm down, then when it comes to my weekly tracked weight i'm up...i get peeved... i should back off of the daily weigh in...but I'm OC! LOL
  • sbhall52
    sbhall52 Posts: 1
    Every morning, and log it every day too. I like having the feedback, and even a slight gain—although I know they are to be expected due to water retention, etc.—is additional motivation for that day.
  • Forest777
    Forest777 Posts: 30 Member
    Daily, but I keep a spreadsheet with a running 5-day average to try to smooth out the little water fluctuations here and there.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Every morning but I only count it every Saturday, regardless of if it's up or down.
  • leebesstoad
    leebesstoad Posts: 1,186 Member
    When I was in weight loss mode, I was taking "official" weight measurements once a week. at the gym with my trainer every Saturday morning. And logged into the gym's fitness program (as well as here). Of course at home, I'd step on the scale every morning before work, and then another time or two during the day. More for a chuckle to see what the effects of what I've eaten and drank during the day. The daily measurements were for amusement purposes only.

Now that I'm more in maintenance (and actually muscle building) mode, "official" weight measurements are occurring about once a month.

Actually a funny one was once I stepped on the scale just before getting in to the bathtub for a relaxing soak (as a treat). I weighed 179. After soaking in the tub for about 20 minutes, just relaxing, I got out, dried off and weighed myself. I was at 182. My body absorbed 3 pounds of water just laying in the tub. With nothing going into my mouth. That experience really taught me not to freak out about daily weight fluctuations..
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Daily every morning after my pee, and I write it down a piece of paper. On MFP I only log if there's a loss.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    I weigh everyday but only log when I get a new low. This wouldn't work for some. I don't get hung up on it, I'm just curious how my body changes and reacts. Example, I had mexican last night, so lots of sodium. I would expect now to hold on to some water for a couple of days. My weight swings up and down as much as 5 pounds in a day on occasion. I think it is fascinating to pay attention to the daily variances.
    Exactly what I do.
  • augustholly
    augustholly Posts: 2 Member
    I weigh myself once first thing in the morning everyday, I get worried that if I don't weigh myself I will become unmotivated and subconsciously slip back into old habits! If I weigh everyday, I can notice patterns right away and curb any bad ones.
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    As long as you don't get obsessed, daily weighing can be very informative. I usually weigh myself first thing in the morning every day, but I only log a change on MFP when I have seen the same weight several days in a row.