Tell me about FITBIT? how does it work?

Options
I know NOTHING about FITBIT...but want to start training and would like to know calories, burned, etc.
If I got a fitbit, do I have to pay a monthly fee to use it? (not sure where i heard that info from, I could be wrong).
I did have a HRM which I liked but it's not working properly, despite changing the battery.
I don't want to know which is better (HRM vs FITBIT), I want to know exactly what the FITBIT entails, how to use, etc

Replies

• vegmama
    vegmama Posts: 2
    Options
    There's no monthly fee. I have the flex and really like it. I use it with the app and check it throughout the day to help motivate me to get up a move!! I've just had it a few weeks but really like it so far.

It tells you calories burned, steps taken, miles walked and then you can also track calories consumed, water consumed, and sleep.
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    If you go to www.fitbit.com, there are a lots of articles and explanations about how it works and what each model tracks (for example, the Zip doesn't track sleep patterns, but the One and Flex do).
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    The fitbit is just a high tech pedometer. The device records your steps and estimates calories burned. If you swim, bike or do other workouts that don't involve steps, it won't count them. My jawbone up doesn't recognize squats, or even lunges.

However, the apps that come with these fancy pedometers do allow you to add in workouts.

The only one that has a monthly subscription is the body media, which is an armband that tracks heart rate and body temperature to estimate calories burned. It is better than pedometers at tracking other kinds of workouts, but shows similar results for daily activity.