Long Hours On My Feet?

Options
I work as a barista at a popular coffee chain. I used to use my long shifts as an excuse to log it as exercise and in return, justify my eating junk while at work. I'm trying to stop logging my shifts as exercise, but I was wondering what the opinion is of those long shifts: if I work for 8-10 straight hours on my feet with only one thirty minute break, should I still try to only eat my set goal of calories for the day? (For reference, mine is set at 1500). On days where I have longer shifts, I don't usually exercise because it makes my joints hurt even more when I work. Do you think it'd be okay to eat a little more to accommodate, or should I just aim for 1500?

Replies

• tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I always went with the thought that it if it is a regular part of your day then don't count it. I don't count the walking I do during my work day, but I always take a walk before I start. I count that.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I would go into settings>update profile and change your activity to active - Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. *waitress*, mailman)
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you should use the relevant setting for your daily activity at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided , rather than sedentary, to cover work activity like this.

The choices are :-

Lightly Active: Spend a good part of the day on your feet (e.g. teacher, salesman)
    Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. waitress, mailman)
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I would go into settings>update profile and change your activity to active - Active: Spend a good part of the day doing some physical activity (e.g. *waitress*, mailman)

I'm only worried because I do not work these long shifts a lot (a lot meaning every day in a work week). I'm part time, so sometimes I work for 3 hours, sometimes I go four days without working at all!
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    If you are losing weight on your current settings, I wouldn't change anything... The best way to find out what your TDEE and BMR are is through logging intake and tracking weight; the online calculators (including MFP's) are just estimates.