Calories burned by kick boxing

Options
Hi all

I'm doing my first kick boxing class this afternoon and thought I'd see how many calories it would burn - I was amazed to discover it will be 533 calories in 1 hour! I can't believe it's this much, even my aerobics class is only 348 cals burned and that kills me!

Is it really that hard? I'd love to hear from someone who does this type of exercise and see what they think, I don't want to eat all those exercise calories if I haven't actually burned that much!

Replies

• IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Hi all

I'm doing my first kick boxing class this afternoon and thought I'd see how many calories it would burn - I was amazed to discover it will be 533 calories in 1 hour! I can't believe it's this much, even my aerobics class is only 348 cals burned and that kills me!

Is it really that hard? I'd love to hear from someone who does this type of exercise and see what they think, I don't want to eat all those exercise calories if I haven't actually burned that much!
  • nat8100
    nat8100 Posts: 17
    Options
    I do kickboxing regulary and it is hard work. It will completely depend on the format of your class and how hard your pushed. You'll probably have to start slowly... My coach was easy on me when I first started my now takes no prisoners!

The format of the class I go to varies each week but generaly is: 10mins stretch, 20mins running + pressups and situps, 20mins skipping + resistance punching and/or pucnhing and kicking exercises (a killer) and then 30mins sparring with a partner (usually set 'rountines' and practising particular kicks/punches), then stretch down.
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nat, I've just got back from the class and yes, it was hard work! I can well believe that if you do it for an hour straight you will burn 533 cals, but I kept stopping and starting so it probably wasn't that much in total. I have to say though, I'm pretty worn out now and my arms feel like jelly!

My class was similar to yours, we did some running, press ups and skipping (I can't believe I don't know how to skip!), then we learned some punches and kicks and practised them for most of the time, with partners. Then we went on to do some more press ups, sit ups etc, then stretches. In fact, it felt a bit like being in the army!

It was probably the hardest class I've done at my gym so far but was definitely good fun, and pretty sociable too because quite a few of us were new and didn't really know what we were doing! The woman who took the class was great, she was quite firey and pushed us hard, but she was funny and friendly too.

So I think I'll do some more in the future, though I may try to get my fitness levels up a bit first! :laugh: