Lactose intolerant -- TMI

Options
Buff2022
Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
Thursday I had a fish sandwich from Mcdonalds. I took off the cheese because I know I can't eat it. But left the tartar sauce on.

Friday morning: tummy cramps, diarreha and vomiting. That is the only thing I can think that caused that. I normally eat a yogurt and I am fine. Only lasted about 1 hour.

Friday:
1/2 serving of kraft olive oil mayo on my sandwich, yoplait yogurt, and had a gyro for dinner with the sauce on it.

This morning: Same issues as Friday.

Really wondering if I have to CUT 100% dairy out. Yogurt has not bothered me in the past. Just the rest of the dairy family. Who I disowned 2 months ago.

On both days once I threw up. I felt 100% better. Also I did not have a lot of it. Because I was only sick for an hour or less. I have had it in the past where I am sick for 4 hours.

I did have a greek yogurt this morning..but I threw most of it up. Sorry I know discusting. I only threw it up cause it was the first thing I ate before I started feeling like crap. Friday it was a banana that came up.

So I am wondering is this lactose thing getting worse???

Replies

• laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Most people who are lactose intolerant don't have any issues with yogurt, but feel sick with other dairy products.
    Even if I'm not lactose intolerant, I feel very bloated after eating dairy, but yogurt has no bad effects on me.
    Did you take a breath test to discover if you are intolerant?
  • LGcentaur
    LGcentaur Posts: 3
    Options
    I am not a doctor, however, sometimes a lactose intolerance can morph into a milk allergy or it may be you have always had a mild milk allergy which is getting worse. If you can take Lactaid pills or drink Lactaid milk and not get the symptoms, you are more than likely intolerant. However, if drinking Lactaid milk or taking the pills does nothing much to help or ease the symptoms, you are probably facing an allergy instead of intolerance. Might want to check with your doctor.
  • pbrinnm
    pbrinnm Posts: 39
    Options
    I can tell you my experience. I've been lactose intolerant for about 10 years. My sensitivity has increased over time. I can still eat greek yogurt and organic lactose free milk is fine. I used to be able to eat cheese occasionally. I don't touch cheese anymore. My sister has had a similar experience with her symptoms.
  • matthew_b
    matthew_b Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I agree with LGcentaur. This sounds a lot more like a food allergy. I don't have a problem with dairy but a lot of other foods bother me, and what you describe is what happens to me when I eat one of my problem foods.
  • Buff2022
    Options
    Thank you for all the info. I am really wondering if I do have a diary allergy. I can't do anything that is lactose-free. I have tried the pills and they do not work anymore either.

Yogurt has not bothered me...or so I didn't think. Meaning that I don't get the violent sickness but my BM are still funny when I eat it. I think I might try a week or two of no yogurt and see what happens.

I see my doctor at the end of June and depending on what happens this next month. I will ask to be tested.

I know I use to have this "rash" all the time on the back of my arms. Since I gave up 99.9% of dairy it went a way.

Guess it is time to check out the vegan cheese options.

Does Goat Cheese effect you all the same way.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is allergic to the casein in dairy. She can't eat any dairy or she will be in the same condition you describe. For her it's beyond lactose intolerance and is an actual allergy to the casein protein. You might want to get tested to rule it out because if that is the case you will have to be very careful to read labels.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I just take a Lactaid pill when I eat dairy.
  • Buff2022
    Options
    I just take a Lactaid pill when I eat dairy.

does nothing for me
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I was born lactose intolerant and it went away for a bit but came back in my teens and progressively got worse. Lactaid pills used to work for me but they stopped and now I have reactions to casien.

So have you been vomiting regularly? That's not really symptom of lactose intolerance perhaps you are just sick? Lactose intolerance usually involves gas, bloating, diareah, stomach ache but usually not nausea and vomitting. Most people with lactose intolerance can eat yogurt as the lactose is nearly gone in it.

Dairy allergies are different and vary person to person. I get sinus issues with casien.

There are many dairy alternatives like cheeses. I really daiya. For cream cheese and sour cream I like tofutti brand. For milk I use either almond or soy. There are also many dairy-free yogurts like almond, soy, coconut and there is even a greek style coconut yogurt. If you go out be sure to let the waiter or car hop know you are allergic to dairy (even if you just have lactose intolerance) they are less likely to make a mistake that way.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled across this group, you should join too http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/14440-non-dairy-divas
  • Buff2022
    Options
    I was born lactose intolerant and it went away for a bit but came back in my teens and progressively got worse. Lactaid pills used to work for me but they stopped and now I have reactions to casien.

So have you been vomiting regularly? That's not really symptom of lactose intolerance perhaps you are just sick? Lactose intolerance usually involves gas, bloating, diareah, stomach ache but usually not nausea and vomitting. Most people with lactose intolerance can eat yogurt as the lactose is nearly gone in it.

Dairy allergies are different and vary person to person. I get sinus issues with casien.

There are many dairy alternatives like cheeses. I really daiya. For cream cheese and sour cream I like tofutti brand. For milk I use either almond or soy. There are also many dairy-free yogurts like almond, soy, coconut and there is even a greek style coconut yogurt. If you go out be sure to let the waiter or car hop know you are allergic to dairy (even if you just have lactose intolerance) they are less likely to make a mistake that way.

Nope I am not sick. It has always been that if I get the "intolerant symptoms" It ends when I vomit. I have the gas, bloating, diarreha and tummy ache.

Thank you for giving me some suggestions of things to try. I am going to start trying them till I find others I like. I do almond milk now and love it.