Calories burned??

Options
So yesterdays and todays workouts were the first workouts that I have used a heart rate monitor with. The heart rate monitor gave me a higher amount of calories burned (between 150 and 200 more) than MFP gives me for the excercise I enter...I am just wondering if I should go with MFP or enter the calories the heart rate monitor says I burned.

Thanks!

Replies

• Kazren
    Kazren Posts: 88
    Options
    I would go with the heart rate moniter, as we all burn calories different, the stuff people have put on here for calories burnt is what they burn and we all exercise differently
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I too would go with the heart rate monitor.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    The heart rate monitor will be more accurate.
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Go with the HRM. It's a more accurate reading
  • kmulhollen
    Options
    First, make sure you have zeroed out all of the factory settings on your HRM and entered your own info accurately. My first week of using my hrm was totally inaccurate because I failed to do that correctly. It was ;;telling me I was burning way too many calories than what I actually did. The way you can check that it's calculating correctly is to take your pulse manually and check that number to your read-out. Take your pulse for 15 seconds then multiply times 4 - that is your bpm #.

Good luck!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If it has a chest strap, then the HRM.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Also if you are working out for longer than half an hour you may want to back out the calories you would have burned at rest as they are already accounted for. As an example say you burn 1.5 cals per minute at rest and you workout for 40 minutes and burn 350 calories according to your HRM. The amount you enter into MFP should be 350 - the calories you would have burned anyway. so in this example you would enter 290 (350- 1.5x40min).
  • hallswan
    hallswan Posts: 90
    Options
    You will find that at the moment, your HRM shows you burning more than MFP

In no time at all, this will even out and it will be the same and then when you loose even more weight, your HRM will show up to 100kcals under MFP and you will have to work that much harder to get the same burn

Enjoy
  • jodiking
    jodiking Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I will go with the heart rate monitor for today but tomorrow I will make sure it is accurately reading my pulse! Thanks again!!