strength training - getting started

Options
Hi, I am thinking about starting to lift weights, I have fibromyalgia and a gym membership isn't in the cards. I would need to start out very slowly, any suggestions?

Replies

• 21sunshine85
    21sunshine85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I also would like to know how to start my strength training. I don't want to go to the gym (I am too self conscious and ver shy so I would not stick to going to the gym). I like working out at home and I would not mind buying a few weights to do strenght training but I don't know what to start with or how to start strength training. I am doing a lot of cardio therefor I am loosing weight but I also would love to tone up in order to prevent to become all flappy.

Please help!
  • FindingTimeForMe
    FindingTimeForMe Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Hello, I love strength training. I am not a trainer so all I can do is pass on what I do (and what my trainer shares with me). I strength train 3 times per week. I do every muscle group in about 60 minutes. I pick two exercises (opposite body parts) and do 3 sets of 6-8 reps with a weight that I can handle for each exercise. Hardly no rest in between so you get a cardio workout too. I would suggest getting some books, watching YOUTUBE videos, DVDs would be helpful too. The goal is to get stronger and lean muscles. Change up your workout every week by changing to lower weight and then 15 reps each. Once you can do a weight (for your lower rep days) 8 times with ease you need to increase the weight a little bit. Don't worry about getting "Big" -- you might see some weight come on at first - watch your measurements for success, eat protein for muscle repair. It is very addicting.

This is what I did today.

Chest press with a high latt pull (back)
    Chest flys with a low latt pull (back)
    Shoulder raises
    Calf raises with squats and crunches
    Dead man lifts (back of your legs/butt ouch!!) with bicep curls
    triceps

You can also do what is called circuit training where you do one exercise for each body part and then you do it all over again 2 more times. I think this is boring and my over 40 brain can't remember that many things. ;o)

again you can look all of these up on YOUTUBE. But the best recommendation is to start light and try to get a trainer to show you how to do these. They go to school for this stuff. Best of luck to you!!!!
  • lastspen
    lastspen Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should consider using resistance bands or weighted gloves while doing cardio exercises like kickboxing. I am by no means a fitness expert but I think that you can strength train by using your own body weight. YouTube is definitely a great resource and you can also check out the Fitness Blender website to find additional videos to help you along the way.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Nerd Fitness has free body weight fitness programs for beginners and advanced people. I started with the beginner program and now lift heavy. It's awesome and can be adapted for your level of fitness and using things around the house. You Tube will get you there. The link for the beginner work out is below: Good luck!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • jennfranklin
    jennfranklin Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Get the new rules of lifting for women. Sold at any book store.. I have increased my strength tremendously using the methods described in this book!
  • mkkhoza
    mkkhoza Posts: 79
    Options
    Nerd Fitness has free body weight fitness programs for beginners and advanced people. I started with the beginner program and now lift heavy. It's awesome and can be adapted for your level of fitness and using things around the house. You Tube will get you there. The link for the beginner work out is below: Good luck!

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Yes I too would recommend a body weight routine to begin...there is so much strength training that one can do without weights. Fibro is no joke and you are to be commended for pressing ahead regardless:)
  • chaplainamy
    Options
    Thanks everyone! This all helps!!