Belly Advice or Experience?!

Options
So, I've nearly finished my weight loss journey but my problem is my stomach area. It still sticks out and the fat that's left is very wobbly and the skin is a little bit loose. It's not awful but I would like to lose it before I get in a bikini! My problem is, I really don't want to lose any more weight! The weight is continuing to come off in the wrong places but not my stomach - starting to look very boney around my ribs and collar bone and don't think it's a good look at all.

Also, my life will be hectic over the next 3 or 4 months - going to be moving home then travelling and no access to a gym. So weight lifting isn't at option really but will still be able to keep up exercising.

I know I can't spot reduce fat. I have some reasonable core strength but is there anything I can do to firm that area up more? Or has anyone found that their stomach gets better over time as the skin tightens and bounces back in to place?

Or do I just have to accept that I either need to lose more weight than I want to get a flat stomach or stay this size but have a flabby stomach?

So frustrating! Would appreciate any help :)

Replies

• ellaloveslove
    ellaloveslove Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Do you lift weights? Lifting can help with body recomp, if you don't have access to weights you could try something like the 30 Day Shred. There are countless forum posts on here showing before and afters, most people it seems lose inches and not necessarily pounds, which sounds like something that you may be interested in.

Good luck!
  • Alexandra289
    Alexandra289 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Thanks - I'll look into 30 day shred!
  • Alexandra289
    Options
    bump - just wondered if anyone else had any advice or success with this :)
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    At this point, lifting weights will give you the most dramatic change in your body composition. Cardio isn't really going to do much.

I recommend continuing to eat a caloric deficit for now and starting a beginners strength program. I'm assuming by "the wrong places" you mean that you're losing weight in your butt and breasts. Doing strength training will help to take a wobbly butt and make it into a glorious masterpiece despite any weight loss.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com, you can find all types of fun exercises, try the pooch, low stomach fat, obliques, abs videos.
  • Alta2000
    Options
    At this point, lifting weights will give you the most dramatic change in your body composition. Cardio isn't really going to do much.

I recommend continuing to eat a caloric deficit for now and starting a beginners strength program. I'm assuming by "the wrong places" you mean that you're losing weight in your butt and breasts. Doing strength training will help to take a wobbly butt and make it into a glorious masterpiece despite any weight loss.

Whierd, for strengthening the core and abs, what would be the type of lifting weights one can do?
  • awetherell
    awetherell Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS for getting so far! I hope you're so happy to be nearly there and I bet you look great. I second the suggestion of the 30DS - it's pretty good for toning up and catching more than bog standard crunches will.

I don't know whether this is right in your case or not, but I have also read and heard in various places that people will often struggle to get rid of the 'paunch' on their tummies due to lifestyle and what we consume, rather than just calories and fat (a lot of my really skinny friends have it) - basically toxins etc. Obviously I don't know what you eat and some people may disagree with this, but it can't hurt to give yourself a 'mini-detox' alongside the toning by cutting out caffeine, alcohol and sugar etc for a little while to see if that makes a difference?

Good luck x
  • whierd
    Options

Whierd, for strengthening the core and abs, what would be the type of lifting weights one can do?

The absolute BEST lift you can do for core strength is barbell squatting. This is very nearly a full body exercise and requires/builds a strong core. As for abs, I would use a cable pull down machine to do some ab work once per week at best. No need to overtrain your abs muscles since they are used in EVERY other movement that you do.
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Blogilates.com, you can find all types of fun exercises, try the pooch, low stomach fat, obliques, abs videos.

These are good and I work with a trainer on this specific problem and he keeps saying to cut the carbs and to do sit-ups while holding a significant amount of weight to my chest. I went from a 45 inch waist to a 28, but it took a lot of work and ALOT of ab classes.
  • Alexandra289
    Options
    Firstly, CONGRATULATIONS for getting so far! I hope you're so happy to be nearly there and I bet you look great. I second the suggestion of the 30DS - it's pretty good for toning up and catching more than bog standard crunches will.

I don't know whether this is right in your case or not, but I have also read and heard in various places that people will often struggle to get rid of the 'paunch' on their tummies due to lifestyle and what we consume, rather than just calories and fat (a lot of my really skinny friends have it) - basically toxins etc. Obviously I don't know what you eat and some people may disagree with this, but it can't hurt to give yourself a 'mini-detox' alongside the toning by cutting out caffeine, alcohol and sugar etc for a little while to see if that makes a difference?

Good luck x

Thank you :) and thanks for the advice. I do have a little pooch - and it has been worse recently as I've been going out eating and drinking, etc so been more bloated. Generally I eat healthily and stay away from processed food but it's still always there.

I wouldn't care if it was smooth, firm fat but it's just a jiggly bit that pokes right out!!
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options

Not weird at all actually. Many lifting exercises use your core. Your body balances using your abs and core so there are MANY exercises that use your core, they just are not 'targeting it' like a plank would. I can name at least 6 off the top of my head. Dead lifts, squats, over head press, clean and press, any kind of lunge, roman twist with dumb bell or weighted ball. You can use dumb bells for most of these exercises as well. You don't even need a bench or bar for most things. Even your body weight can be used in a million different ways for body recomposition.
  • Alta2000
    Options

The absolute BEST lift you can do for core strength is barbell squatting. This is very nearly a full body exercise and requires/builds a strong core. As for abs, I would use a cable pull down machine to do some ab work once per week at best. No need to overtrain your abs muscles since they are used in EVERY other movement that you do.

I was just wondering if there were specific ones like the fly, chest press, etc. I do not know the names but the ones I like: Lie on the floor, hold a dumbbell, or the balls that have a different weight, extending your hands, so the body forms a straight line. Then lift extended hands holding the weight towards the ceiling, while simultaneously you lift your extended legs straight up to the ceiling, until hands and legs touch. Return to original position. For the cable, put the soft bracelet on both your ankles with the legs straighten, and pull your legs until your knees come to your chest, while you pull the cable, something like reverse crunch. For obliques, you hold the weighted ball/dumbbell/kettle with both hands extended while the body is in standing position. Then you squat on one leg towards one side and touch the floor on that side with the weight. Return to the standing position and bring the weight to the opposite side of the body, at chest level.
  • whierd
    Options

I was just wondering if there were specific ones like the fly, chest press, etc. I do not know the names but the ones I like: Lie on the floor, hold a dumbbell, or the balls that have a different weight, extending your hands, so the body forms a straight line. Then lift extended hands holding the weight towards the ceiling, while simultaneously you lift your extended legs straight up to the ceiling, until hands and legs touch. Return to original position. For the cable, put the soft bracelet on both your ankles with the legs straighten, and pull your legs until your knees come to your chest, while you pull the cable, something like reverse crunch. For obliques, you hold the weighted ball/dumbbell/kettle with both hands extended while the body is in standing position. Then you squat on one leg towards one side and touch the floor on that side with the weight. Return to the standing position and bring the weight to the opposite side of the body, at chest level.

People tend to focus on their abs because they think that it will reduce the fat in that area and make abs appear. This is not true. Abs become visible through diet alone. But compound movements will build your core strength better than any ab exercises.

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Planks
    Benchpress
    Row variations
    Lunges
    Stiff legged dead lifts
    Pullups
    etc

All of these are fantastic compound movement exercises that target a large group of muscles, including your core muscles.
  • Alexandra289
    Options
    I have some reasonably heavy dumbbells at home - do you think I could get similar results with them?
  • Alta2000
    Options
    People tend to focus on their abs because they think that it will reduce the fat in that area and make abs appear. This is not true. Abs become visible through diet alone. But compound movements will build your core strength better than any ab exercises.

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Planks
    Benchpress
    Row variations
    Lunges
    Stiff legged dead lifts
    Pullups
    etc

All of these are fantastic compound movement exercises that target a large group of muscles, including your core muscles.

I am targeting the abs/obliques/pouch both to strengthen the core which is weak despite doing compound lifts, and to develop muscles that will be revealed when all the fat that surrounds them finally melts away! Since fat loss is not linear, I did extra cable inner thighs exercise and even though I am still far away from my weight target, my muscles on the upper thighs have started to emerge, whereas other areas that were not spot targeted have not have any such success.
  • whierd
    Options
    I have some reasonably heavy dumbbells at home - do you think I could get similar results with them?

Anything is better than nothing. You will see progress for a time, but will likely hit a progression wall quickly. But you will be building a foundation for heavier lifting. :)
  • whierd
    Options

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Planks
    Benchpress
    Row variations
    Lunges
    Stiff legged dead lifts
    Pullups
    etc

I am targeting the abs/obliques/pouch both to strengthen the core which is weak despite doing compound lifts, and to develop muscles that will be revealed when all the fat that surrounds them finally melts away! Since fat loss is not linear, I did extra cable inner thighs exercise and even though I am still far away from my weight target, my muscles on the upper thighs have started to emerge, whereas other areas that were not spot targeted have not have any such success.

Try adding in some stiff-legged deadlifts, lunges, and possibly glute bridges to activate your hamstrings and glutes more. Lower back hyperextensions are good as well.

I personal wouldn't bother with any inner thigh exercises. Squats hit your inner thighs wonderfully as well as your quads.
  • Alta2000
    Options

Yes. Even just lifting your legs straight up towards the ceiling, while laying on the floor, it is a good ab exercise. You can also do the Russian twist as suggested, http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/russian-twist, I just try not to squat or do lounges too much to avoid hurting my knees.
  • Alta2000
    Options

Try adding in some stiff-legged deadlifts, lunges, and possibly glute bridges to activate your hamstrings and glutes more. Lower back hyperextensions are good as well.

I personal wouldn't bother with any inner thigh exercises. Squats hit your inner thighs wonderfully as well as your quads.

I was doing leg weight exercises in the beginning, but now I am just 1 inch away for the calves and lower upper thighs target measurements, and 3 inches on the upper thigh area, so I stopped doing any legs because I do not really want to have any muscle bulking and sticking out on legs. Just tone and firm, so I do incline treadmill, with some HITT running in between. I do the inner thighs because I am a woman. I do back machine weights for the latissimus dorsi like lats pulls and lats down; all types of arms dumbbells exercises eg military, fly, chest press, etc, and then general core exercises for abs.
  • jamielhance
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen!! It has been my personal experience that by reducing sugar in all forms, read carbohydrates, belly fat begins to melt away :) I would also consider doing a cleanse/detox. I've seen people have great success with the Ultimate Reset.