Am I measuring wrong??

Options
Hi all this is probably an extremely stupid question but maybe someone can give me a bit of help!Im 5ft 2 inches weigh 147 lbs my tape measure is this

bust 39 inches
waist 37 inches
hips 39 inches

ok so according to these measurements I should take a size 18-20 I think,that would be European size,yet size 12 pants and size 14 top will fit me comfortably I just dont get it,am I measuring up wrong.?Any help would be appreciated.

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    All I can say is that these "sizes" seem little more than arbitrary to me. Thank {deity} men's stuff still uses units of length.

39" hips put you in M&S size 12 at http://www.marksandspencer.com/General-Womens-Size-Guides-Product-Information-Help/b/47647031
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    That sounds like a European 14 top and 12 pants....My hips are 39/40 and I wear a European 12 pants... But it depends on what and from where you are ordering stuff - i would suggest sending them an ......
  • juliekin
    juliekin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    American standards of clothing vary and are much more generous than in the last. At my thinnest I could wear an 8 in brands that were more like 11 a decade ago.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and can fit into anything from a size 12/14 up to an 18/20 depending on the make and cut of the clothes. Only way to know is to try it on.

I don't give a hoot anymore what size something is if it fits me it is MY size :)
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    im 202
    bust 40
    waist - 38
    USA sizes
  • RunningForeverMama
    RunningForeverMama Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring your waist at the smallest place on your torso? I'm 5'4", 152 pounds and my waist is 30 inches, hips 39, but measuring where the waistband on clothes sit I'm about 36 inches, I usually wear size 12 (US). The proper place to measure is the at smallest part. Does that help with your measurements matching your size?
  • juliegrey1
    juliegrey1 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help,Im probably measuring wrong,will give it another go,I have about 14 lbs I need to loose,I think what happyhomemama said sounds like my problem I was measuring where the waist band would be so I will try higher up! we would be close enough to the same size!