What do you use for music? iTunes vs ????

Options
GuitarJerry
GuitarJerry Posts: 6,102 Member
I dislike Apple's iTunes, but I've had it for so long. I only use it as a player. I've tried others and they all suck. I mean seriously suck. I love the way iTunes categorizes and works. However, it is an over-bloated piece of crap and in many ways, I'd love to use something else. I just have not been able to find anything that works.

The reason I want to use something else is that I always have so many problems with it. I never ever buy music or anything from there, it's just a player. I'm on Windows, and no the Windows player is not acceptable. It's not even remotely acceptable as a player. I need something where I can very simply categorize music types and genres, that is intuitive and has play lists. Basically, there has to be a programmer out there that has created an iTunes-like player, but that is so much better to use, that is not complicated, and tied to Apple.

Let me know what you use for your player.

And, I'm not really interested in cloud solutions. I'm talking about a computer app, not phone or tablet, a real computer application that manages a large catalog of data. Think about very large amounts of lots of different types of music. Cloud wont work because it's too costly for me.

Thanks much. Appreciate any suggestions. Also, if you could, let me know what you like or don't like about what you use as compared to iTunes.

Edited to add: I know this sounds a little negative. It's not, I just am looking for something very specific and I'm trying to avoid the "just use the cloud" or whatever. I want a actual piece of software on my PC that manages my music really well.

Replies

• Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    i use itunes, but only because i have all my songs from my ipod on it...and i can't update my ipod without having to reformat it....

when im not out and about...i do use spotify. it is free...unless you pay the 10 bucks a month to be ad free...i like it...i can add songs to my playlists and stuff like that.
  • AmmPewTee
    AmmPewTee Posts: 4
    Options
    Songza, Pandora, Tune In...
  • EmilieTorres
    EmilieTorres Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Check out MediaMonkey or Foobar2000.
  • EmilyTwist1
    EmilyTwist1 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I use iTunes for podcasts and iTunes U, but that's it. I don't pay for anything from Apple.

When I buy music, I usually get it from Amazon or cds from Half Price Books.

For radio, I use Pandora and Last.fm
  • Kilokata
    Kilokata Posts: 111
    Options
    isohunt and uTorrent

+Poweramp on an Android phone. Winamp if I'm on my Desktop or laptop.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Check out MediaMonkey or Foobar2000.

These are what I was going to recommend too
  • esc_ape
    esc_ape Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Spotify
  • ghhosstt
    ghhosstt Posts: 112
    Options
    I use Grooveshark. It's free, and excellent for making/sharing playlists online (you can still share them with people who aren't signed up to the site). Plus, because I search for and add music directly from the site, I spend no time waiting for my music to download or having files take up space on my drive. The downside to that is because it's not on your drive you can't burn it to an actual CD (at least not that I'm aware of), but it's excellent to use if you listen to a lot of music while surfing the web.

eta: reread your post and wanted to add that you can also upload your own music to their site from your hard drive and customize/organize it however you like. I'm sure there are tons of other options as well, but because I only use it for simple online streaming I'm not aware of all of them.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Amazon MP3.

Not sure if they have a program to download, but their cloud player is one of the best.. and it's free.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Pandora or Slacker. Or if I am at home, I use the Sirius stations on my Satellite channels.
  • ScatteredThoughts
    ScatteredThoughts Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I use Amarok on Linux for my mp3 collection. They do have a windows version available. I have never used iTunes, so I can't compare them.

http://amarok.kde.org/ - If you want to take a look.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's not an app for the computer,and is cloud based, but I use Google Music. It's free.

I like not having to waste space on my phone or computer(!!!) on music...
  • aquinoz
    aquinoz Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Spotify.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I use iTunes since I have an iPod. Back in the day I used to use Winamp, which I liked quite a bit.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options
    It's not an app for the computer,and is cloud based, but I use Google Music. It's free.

I like not having to waste space on my phone or computer(!!!) on music...

Isn't it only free up to 5 gigs?

It's free for 20,000 songs. Not sure how many gigs that is :P

Here's a link: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/google-music-things-you-should-know/