Too much fruit?

Options
Is it possible that eating too much fruit daily (while still staying within my calorie limit) is bad? I'm wondering if the natural sugars in fruit could be counterproductive to weight loss.

Thoughts?

Replies

• ducky5m48
    ducky5m48 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have also been wondering this b/c I LOVE fruit, but I don't want to hinder my weightloss.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would say yes it is possible to eat to much fruit, but it should not should not affect weight loss if you are still within your calorie range for weight loss.

From my understanding It is recommended to get around 7 or so servings of fruit and vegetables per day, that being said, more than half of these servings should come from vegetables. so if you have 7, at least 4 should be vegetable and at most 3 from fruit.
  • MaryTheIceCube
    MaryTheIceCube Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Perhaps that was my problem over the weekend. I had lost a really good amount of weight, I was so happy, by Saturday morning. Saturday afternoon, we had a BBQ at our home (albeit with mostly healthy foods), and I gorged on watermelon throughout the day (amongst other fruits & other tasty foods) -- grazed all day long. Not sure whether that's partially why I gained back about half of what I'd lost before then or not... who knows.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    I am a diabetic so have to watch my sugar I have infront of me "Diabetes Eating for Health" a leaflet issued by the NHS here is a quote regarding fruit:

"The healthiest snack is a piece of fruit - try to eat at least 3 portions of fruit each day"

Note that is at least. It doesn't give an at most, no doubt there is an upper limit but pressumably your bowels would let you know if you reached it. :laugh:
  • twingirls05
    Options
    I think one of the problems with fruit is, is that to get an accurate count of it's calories, you need to weigh it! When I was doing WW, I was eating fruit like crazy and I would gain weight. Well, come to find out, that apple that I was counting 1 pt for (after I got a food scale), I realized it was 2 points. So, that apple you are counting 50 caloires for, might actually be a 100 calorie+ apple depending on it's size. So, make sure you are really looking at your portion size. Once I started weighing my fruit, I became a lot more conscious of what I was consuming and what a "portion" is
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I think one of the problems with fruit is, is that to get an accurate count of it's calories, you need to weigh it! When I was doing WW, I was eating fruit like crazy and I would gain weight. Well, come to find out, that apple that I was counting 1 pt for (after I got a food scale), I realized it was 2 points. So, that apple you are counting 50 caloires for, might actually be a 100 calorie+ apple depending on it's size. So, make sure you are really looking at your portion size. Once I started weighing my fruit, I became a lot more conscious of what I was consuming and what a "portion" is

Interesting! I've read other posts about the importance of 'weighing' your food. So you should weigh all of your food rather than going by cups for measuring?

I hope I'm not straining too much from the original topic.